A mixed-martial arts fighter accused of ripping out his friend’s still--beating heart and removing the man’s tongue and skin while he was alive is competent to stand trial on murder, mayhem and torture charges, a Northern California judge has ruled.
Judge William Follett reinstated criminal proceedings against Jarrod Wyatt, 27, of Klamath, California, in the death of his friend and sparring partner, Taylor Powell, 21.
The judge’s decision on Tuesday came after a pair of psychiatrists determined Wyatt was mentally competent to stand trial, the Eureka Times-Standard reported. The trial was set for Sept. 10.
Authorities who went to a home near the mouth of the Klamath River on March 21, 2010, found Powell dead on the couch with his chest cut open and his heart, tongue and the skin of his face removed, according to court records.
Wyatt — naked and covered in blood — admitted that he had killed Powell and cut out his heart and tongue, authorities said.
An autopsy revealed that the organs had been removed while Powell was still alive.
His heart was found charred in a wood-burning stove at the home.
According to witnesses, the two had ingested hallucinogenic mushrooms and believed they were part of a struggle between God and the Devil.
Follett suspended criminal proceedings in January after a doctor who evaluated Wyatt for the defense said he was not competent because he did not understand court proceedings, according to the Times-Standard.
The judge ordered the additional evaluations that cleared Wyatt for trial.
Wyatt’s attorney, James Fallman, said he agreed with Follett’s determination and did not see the need to seek a jury trial to determine Wyatt’s competency.
“He’s been better lately,” Fallman said.
Wyatt has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
He faces life in prison without parole if convicted.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding
‘DELIBERATE PROVOCATION’: Pyongyang said that Seoul had used a machine gun to fire at North Korean troops who were working to permanently seal the southern border South Korea fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers that briefly crossed the heavily fortified border earlier this week, Seoul said yesterday after Pyongyang accused it of risking “uncontrollable” tensions. South Korean President Lee Jae-myung has sought warmer ties with the nuclear-armed North and vowed to build “military trust,” but Pyongyang has said it has no interest in improving relations with Seoul. Seoul’s military said several North Korean soldiers crossed the border on Tuesday while working in the heavily mined demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. The incursion prompted “our military to fire warning shots,” South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff