A former budget officer said yesterday he would keep testifying against Philippine generals implicated in a corruption scandal despite the suicide of an ex-military chief.
Retired General Angelo Reyes, who also was a former defense chief, fatally shot himself in the chest with a pistol at his mother’s grave on Tuesday after he and two other ex-military chiefs of staff were accused of pocketing millions of dollars in funds intended for troops salaries, a hospital and combat needs, officials said.
Corruption, long entrenched in Philippine society, is an especially explosive issue in the inadequately equipped and poorly paid 120,000-strong military and has sparked several insurrections in the last two decades by disgruntled troops.
“I started this and I’ll finish it,” former military budget officer Lietenant-Colonel George Rabusa told the ABS-CBN network.
He said at least four retired generals, including two former military chiefs of staff, could be charged with plunder based on evidence in his possession.
Rabusa’s lawyer, Noel Malaya, said dozens of retired and active military personnel and some government auditors who took bribes to overlook massive corruption could also be held liable if the Department of Justice decides to charge them.
In startling testimony before the Philippine Senate last month, Rabusa claimed that Reyes and two other former military chiefs received huge payoffs and “send-off money” when they retired. He said the money came from an -illegal contingency fund collected from key military units, which were forced to cut their congressionally approved budgets for troop salaries, weapons, equipment and combat needs.
Rabusa said that military officials padded budgets for annual US-Philippine military war exercises in at least 2001 and 2002 so they could divert the excess amount to the illegal fund. As a result, the counterpart fund contributed by the US military for the exercises was also in excess, he said.
Rabusa said he did not know what happened to the additional US payment and was ready to help US authorities if they decide to investigate.
The US embassy did not specifically react to Rabusa’s claim, but said without elaborating that US authorities ensure foreign financial assistance and grants are used properly by conducting audits.
Rabusa testified that Reyes received about US$1 million when he stepped down. He said he personally delivered the money to Reyes, and that it first had to be converted into US dollars because the peso equivalent was too bulky.
A stunned Reyes denied accepting money during the Jan. 27 Senate hearing, but also declared: “I’m not a saint.”
He later filed charges against Rabusa and a senator he accused of conspiring to malign him.
Another retired military chief implicated in the scandal, Roy Cimatu, denied receiving any payoff. Cimatu returned on Tuesday from Egypt, where he helped prepare evacuation plans for Filipinos in the restive country.
Like Reyes, Rabusa said he considered committing suicide by driving his car into a Manila river, but thought his family would suffer and become the target of investigations.
He said he wept after learning about the death of Reyes, who was very close to him. He added that he should not be blamed.
“I did not kill him. He took his own life,” Rabusa said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told