The head of Egypt’s Coptic Orthodox Church on Monday called on the government to address Christian grievances about discrimination and urged his flock to quell violent rioting over a New Year’s Day church bombing in Alexandria that killed 21.
Investigators said on Monday that they were focusing on unidentified remains from the bombing, including a severed head, that may be linked to the attacker, a security official said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, the worst on Egyptian Christians in a decade, but security officials say police are looking at homegrown Islamic extremists, perhaps inspired by al-Qaeda.
Typically in suicide bombings, the head of the attacker is flung away by the blast but remains in one piece, and police are now trying to reconstruct the face, the official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.
The interview on Monday with Coptic Pope Shenouda III on state television came as hundreds of predominantly Christian protesters clashed with riot police in northern Cairo in late-night protests over government policies.
The 87-year-old church leader appealed to the government to address Christian complaints, especially laws restricting freedom of worship.
“The state also has a duty. It must see to the problems of the Copts and try to resolve them,” Shenouda said. “If there are laws that are unjust to some, the state should correct many laws.
The pope said the unprecedented attack on the Saints Church in Alexandria had “caused panic” among Muslims and Christians, but he appealed for calm among his flock and warned that political activists might use the protests to push their anti-government agenda.
“Problems are solved with calm and communication, not with anger and emotions,” he said, while acknowledging that the tensions were fed by the Christian community’s long-standing grievances.
“There are laws that are painful to some, and despite our -commitment to the laws, the pain is still there, and this needs to be addressed,” he said, while counseling patience to Christians.
The bombing touched off three days of protests involving clashes with both security forces and Muslim passers-by in the area around the church in Alexandria.
The community, which makes up 10 percent of Egypt’s population of 80 million, complains bitterly of discrimination in building its churches and in the job market. It also thinks the government is not confronting rising conservative Islamic prejudice in society.
In northern Cairo, police surrounded hundreds of protesters in tight cordons near the Shubra neighborhood’s main church, while youths dashed out of sidestreets and pelted their armored cars with rocks.
Riot police beat the protesters with their batons and an Associated Press photographer on the scene saw at least five people injured, including two bleeding from head wounds. A priest eventually convinced security forces to open their lines and allow the protesters to disperse.
Protesters also attempted to block a nearby highway with burning tires and threw rocks at passing cars.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told