The mayors of three towns on a Japanese island reportedly slated to host a US military base said yesterday they will write to US President Barack Obama to tell him they reject their government’s plan.
The row centers around their government’s decision to review a 2006 agreement to allow the relocation of the Marine Corps Air Station at Futenma, on Okinawa, from an urban area to a quieter coastal part of the island.
Media have reported that Japan’s government is planning to transfer the base to Tokunoshima, an island in Kagoshima Prefecture, north of Okinawa.
The government has not confirmed the reports, but Tokunoshima’s residents have voiced opposition to any such plan, with about 4,000 holding a rally in protest against it last month.
The mayors of the three towns on Tokunoshima, with a combined population of around 27,000, have now drafted a letter to send to Obama, said one of the three mayors, Akira Okubo.
A draft of the letter says: “We, all the islanders, protest against the Futenma air base relocation to Tokunoshima.”
“Our island is subtropical and still remains a rich natural environment,” the mayors write. “We would love to leave this beautiful Tokunoshima as it is now to the next generation.”
The island is part of the Amami archipelago, seen as strategically important as it is close to both North Korea and the Taiwan Strait — two potential hotspots that could require US military deployment.
The mayors are preparing to stage another protest rally on Sunday, which they say will involve about 10,000 residents.
“We’ll also send the photos of the rally to the president,” Okubo said.
Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama has struggled for months to find a solution that will satisfy the people of Okinawa island, part of Japan’s southernmost prefecture, and the security demands of the US, its key ally.
Hatoyama said on Tuesday in Washington that he had promised Obama he would resolve the row by the end of next month, despite the fact that Okinawa’s residents have long resented the heavy US military presence.
Japanese media have speculated that Hatoyama might have to resign if he fails to resolve the row before this self-imposed deadline expires.
The Obama administration insists on adhering to the 2006 relocation plan, but has promised to consider any counter-proposals by Japan.
However, some US officials have privately voiced exasperation at what they see as the Japanese government’s indecisiveness.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told
Myanmar yesterday published a parliamentary bill proposing the death sentence for those who detain or violently coerce people into working in online scam centers. Internet fraud factories have flourished in Myanmar, part of Southeast Asia’s scam economy, targeting Internet users worldwide with romance and cryptocurrency investment cons. The multibillion-dollar black market attracts many willing employees, but repatriated foreigners have also reported being trafficked to sites in Myanmar and tortured by scam center operators. The draft legislation would allow capital punishment for “violence, torture, unlawful arrest and detention, or cruel treatment against another person for the purpose of forcing them to commit online scams.” The