The Mexican army arrested an alleged drug trafficker suspected of organizing an attack on a US consulate as well as the killing of several soldiers in retaliation for a government crackdown, Mexican President Felipe Calderon said on Friday.
Calderon said alleged Gulf cartel hit man Sigifrido Najera Talamantes was captured in the northern city of Saltillo, Coahuila, earlier in the day.
Najera Talamantes is suspected in an Oct. 12 attack in which one man opened fire on the US consulate in the northern city of Monterrey and another man threw a grenade that failed to explode. Nobody was hurt.
He is also suspected of involvement in a similar gunfire and grenade attack on Jan. 7 on the offices of the Televisa TV network’s station in Monterrey.
And Calderon said Najera Talamantes “was directly responsible for the torture and execution of soldiers” — a reference to the killings of nine soldiers whose bodies were found in Monterrey in late October, reportedly in retaliation for the army’s participation in anti-drug operations.
Speaking before the leaders of the country’s humans rights commission, Calderon used the arrest to mount a spirited defense of the army’s often-criticized role in the anti-drug fight. Under Calderon, Mexico has dispatched tens of thousands of soldiers to fight cartels nationwide, but some of those troops have been accused of abuses.
“The presence of federal forces, especially the army and navy, has become not just possible, just and legitimate, but indispensable,” Calderon said. “The withdrawal of the military from the streets is not possible at this time because of a lack of qualified police.”
“I fully agree ... that the role of the armed forces should be temporary,” Calderon said, but he added Najera Talamantes’s capture “would not have been possible in the present circumstances without the valuable help of the Mexican army.”
Known as “El Canicon” or “the Big Marble,” apparently for his stocky build, Najera Talamantes is also suspected of involvement in the killings of six federal police officers and one federal investigative agent between 2007 and July last year.
“El Canicon has been implicated in drug trafficking, human trafficking, robbery of fuel from Pemex pipelines, pirated goods and homicide, kidnapping and extortion,” Army General Luis Arturo Olivar said.
Three men and three women were detained along with Najera Talamantes, including a woman described as an accountant for the Gulf cartel. Soldiers seized 10.1 million pesos (US$713,000), eight assault rifles, seven grenades, a grenade launcher and two bulletproofed vehicles.
The suspects are being held pending charges.
Also on Friday, the attorney general’s office said authorities transferred alleged drug trafficker Vicente “El Vicentillo” Zambada to a maximum-security prison near the capital to be held pending a US extradition request.
Mexico grants more extraditions than in the past, but the process can take years and Zambada could face domestic charges first.
Zambada, who was arrested on Wednesday, faces a 2003 US indictment on charges of conspiracy to import and distribute cocaine. His father Ismael “El Mayo” Zambada, is considered one of Mexico’s top drug lords.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told