AP, BOGOTA
The man who directed hit teams for drug kingpin Pablo Escobar fingered a disgraced politician on Friday as being behind the 1989 assassination of leading presidential candidate Luis Carlos Galan.
Alberto Santofimio Botero, a former senator and justice minister, was arrested Thursday for the killing of Galan -- a case that rocked Colombia and deprived the nation of a crusader against drug traffickers and corruption.
John Jairo Velasquez, who led Escobar's army of assassins, said in a telephone interview from prison with RCN TV that he was present at a meeting with Escobar and Santofimio when the politician recommended Galan be killed.
"Alberto Santofimio Botero had the idea of killing Luis Carlos Galan," Velasquez said. "Alberto Santofimio recommended that he be killed because the man, with the weapons of the state, would go after Pablo Escobar."
In 1989, Santofimio was running for the Liberal Party nomination for the 1990 presidential elections. Galan was a rival candidate, charismatic and likened to John F. Kennedy. Velasquez said Santofimio showed no hesitation when he told Escobar that Galan be killed.
"He was 100 percent calm ... he was removing a political enemy from his path," Velasquez said.
For Escobar, the assassination of Galan meant he would be eliminating a candidate who would likely extradite drug traffickers to the US for trial. The Medellin cocaine cartel, which Escobar headed, fought a bloody war during the 1980s to pressure the government to bar extraditions. Cartel assassins killed judges, an attorney general, Cabinet ministers, journalists and police. Hundreds more Colombians died in cartel bomb attacks in Bogota in Medellin.
Galan, who was shot dead while campaigning south of Bogota, was so far ahead in the polls for the 1990 presidential elections he was virtually assured of victory. His campaign manager, Cesar Gaviria, ran in his place after the attack, and was elected president. Immediately after Galan's assassination, then President Virgilio Barco retaliated by reinstating extraditions.
Santofimio, a former justice minister, was flown to Bogota on Friday aboard a police plane from a town in western Colombia where he was arrested. Authorities first tried to bring him to the capital on a commercial flight, but passengers rebelled, saying they did not want to travel with the disgraced politician.
Santofimio, 61, faces 40 years in prison if found guilty in Galan's murder. Santofimio was long known as the "political godfather" of Escobar, who was shot dead by police in 1993. In 1995, Santofimio was arrested for taking money from drug traffickers.
While several members of the hit team that killed Galan were arrested within days of the assassination, for more than 15 years Colombians have wondered who was behind the killing. Rumors swirled that politicians and security forces were involved.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told