A German computer expert charged with killing, dismembering and eating the flesh of an Internet acquaintance made a detailed confession at the opening of his murder trial -- but said he was only doing what the victim wanted.
Armin Meiwes, 42, who lived in an ancient former manor house in Rotenburg, gave chilling testimony on Wednesday about how his fantasy of finding someone to become "a part of me" turned real. Rotenburg is a central German town about 30km southeast of Kassel.
PHOTO: EPA
Meiwes -- a poised, slender man wearing a dark suit and tie -- described matter-of-factly how Bernd Juergen Brandes, 43, traveled from Berlin to visit him in March 2001 in reply to an Internet advertisement seeking a young man for "slaughter and consumption."
Meiwes said his fantasies began as a child, when he felt lonely and imagined killing and eating a "younger brother." He said he got more than 400 responses to his Internet solicitation from people who wanted to join him in acting out the fantasy.
Meiwes told the state court that he and his victim chatted for several weeks on the Internet. When they met, he said, Brandes undressed.
"Now you can see my body. I hope you'll find me tasty," Meiwes quoted his visitor as saying.
Brandes later said he wanted to be stabbed to death after drinking a bottle of cold medicine to lose consciousness, Meiwes testified.
Meiwes said he stabbed his victim the next morning, believing he was already dead, and recorded his act on a videotape that is being used as evidence.
"I kissed him once more, prayed and pleaded for forgiveness," Meiwes told the court.
He said he froze some of the dismembered body parts, eating the flesh over the following months, and buried others in the garden. Police who searched Meiwes' home found human flesh and bones.
Court-appointed psychiatrists found Meiwes fit to stand trial. Prosecutors say the killing was sexually motivated and filed murder charges, despite concluding that the killing had the victim's consent.
Meiwes' attorney argued against murder charges, saying the slaying was a form of mercy killing. Meiwes faces life in prison if convicted of murder.
"My friend enjoyed the dying, his death," Meiwes was quoted as saying by a local newspaper.
Seeking to bolster his claim that he acted according to the wishes of others, Meiwes testified that he had at least five other responses to his Internet ads at his home but let them go -- including a teacher who offered himself as a "devoted pig for slaughter." One man wanted to act out his fantasy of slaughtering co-workers. When Meiwes suspended him from a pulley-and-rope device set up in his home as part of the role playing, the man got sick and left after being freed, Meiwes said.
Police tracked down Meiwes and arrested him last December after a student in Austria alerted them to an advertisement Meiwes placed on the Internet seeking a man willing to be killed and eaten.
Thirty-eight witnesses are slated to testify in the trial. A verdict is expected in February.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told