China poses a pressing threat, as its military buildup continues unabated, and effective deterrence is needed to make sure any attack would be very risky for Beijing, Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said yesterday.
China does not plan to invade Taiwan next year and seeks to control the nation without the use of force, the US intelligence community said on Wednesday, striking a measured tone on one of the world’s biggest potential flashpoints.
Beijing has stepped up pressure on the nation with frequent military drills. Taiwan’s democratically elected government rejects China’s sovereignty claims.
Photo: Chen I-kuan, Taipei Times
Asked about the US report, Koo said China has neither given up the option of using force against Taiwan nor slowed military spending.
“So its military expansion, and the threat it poses to us, remain very serious,” he said. “We need to make it feel like any plan to attack Taiwan would carry a high degree of risk: In other words, to make its assessment of a successful invasion very low.”
If China continues expanding its military while Taiwan’s defense capabilities do not improve, the likelihood of an attack would rise, Koo said.
“On the other hand, if our defense capabilities continue to improve and our deterrence grows stronger, then its calculation regarding an attack on Taiwan will decrease. That would have the effect of pushing back such a date [for invasion] again and again,” he said.
China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Taiwan is an internal issue and that the US needs to “stop hyping up the ‘China threat’ theory.”
President William Lai (賴清德) has proposed US$40 billion in extra defense spending, but the plans have been slow to work their way through the legislature, where the opposition, which has the most seats, has complained the Cabinet’s budget proposal is too vague and that lawmakers cannot be expected to sign “blank checks.”
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the