A major US arms package for Taiwan that includes advanced interceptor missiles is ready for US President Donald Trump’s approval and could be signed after his trip to China this month, sources briefed on the discussions said, according to an exclusive report by Reuters published today.
The arms deal, valued at about US$14 billion, would be the largest ever for the nation as it faces rising military pressure from China, the report said.
Sources familiar with the administration’s thinking said the deal is being kept confidential ahead of Trump’s planned trip to Beijing from March 31 to April 2 to meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), but it could be announced after he returns.
Photo: Screen grab from Lockheed Martin’s Web site
Xi told Trump last month that arms sales to Taiwan must be handled with “prudence.”
Trump’s efforts to secure a favorable trade deal with China have raised concerns among some observers that he could curb US military support for Taiwan.
However, the pending arms approval suggests that the administration plans to maintain or increase support, which would in turn ease anxiety in Taipei.
The package largely consists of PAC-3 and NASAMS air defense missiles, one source said.
“As soon as the president gives the thumbs up, those are ready to be officially announced; everything is done,” the source said on condition of anonymity.
Another US$6 billion in “asymmetric” defense capabilities is also awaiting approval and could be announced in linked or subsequent packages, the source added.
Trump’s National Security Strategy issued late last year states that deterring conflict over Taiwan is a priority for Washington, “ideally by preserving military overmatch.”
Trump’s comments, including a remark last month that he was “talking” to Xi about Taiwan arms sales, have stirred speculation that he could scale back the longstanding US practice of providing Taiwan with the means to defend itself.
Nonetheless, Trump’s arms sales approvals to the nation in his second term have already surpassed the amount approved by his predecessor Joe Biden over four years.
Analysts said US administrations over the past few decades have timed weapons approvals for Taiwan around sensitive political engagement with Beijing.
China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that its opposition to US arms sales to Taiwan is “consistent and unequivocal.”
In response to questions to the White House, a senior US official confirmed more weapons approvals were in the works.
“Arms sales are working their way through the process; there is no change to our policy with respect to Taiwan,” the official said.
Two sources in Taiwan familiar with the matter said that Washington has repeatedly assured them of its support.
Beijing has been seeking to delay US arms sales and has been trying to create a better atmosphere ahead of the summit, including by toning down military pressure, another source in Taiwan said.
“We have confidence in Trump, though; Beijing has underestimated the strategic vision of the White House,” the source said.
The Ministry of National Defense said that its arms procurement projects have completed “preliminary coordination” with the US side.
The ministry said in January that an arms deal with the US covering four items was in the offing, but it could not give details before they were provided to the US Congress.
AGING: While Japan has 22 submarines, Taiwan only operates four, two of which were commissioned by the US in 1945 and 1946, and transferred to Taiwan in 1973 Taiwan would need at least 12 submarines to reach modern fleet capabilities, CSBC Corp, Taiwan chairman Chen Cheng-hung (陳政宏) said in an interview broadcast on Friday, citing a US assessment. CSBC is testing the nation’s first indigenous defense submarine, the Hai Kun (海鯤, Narwhal), which is scheduled to be delivered to the navy next month or in July. The Hai Kun has completed torpedo-firing tests and is scheduled to undergo overnight sea trials, Chen said on an SET TV military affairs program. Taiwan would require at least 12 submarines to establish a modern submarine force after assessing the nation’s operational environment and defense
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
The coast guard today said that it had disrupted "illegal" operations by a Chinese research ship in waters close to the nation and driven it away, part of what Taipei sees a provocative pattern of China's stepped up maritime activities. The coast guard said that it on Thursday last week detected the Chinese ship Tongji (同濟號), which was commissioned only last year, 29 nautical miles (54km) southeast of the southern tip of Taiwan, although just outside restricted waters. The ship was observed lowering ropes into the water, suspected to be the deployment of scientific instruments for "illegal" survey operations, and the coast
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November