The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday accused opposition parties of taking orders from Beijing to stall Taiwan’s special defense budget.
A group of seven KMT Legislators, including Weng Hsiao-ling (翁曉玲), Yeh Yuan-chih (葉元之) and Lin Szu-ming (林思銘) attended an event in Xiamen hosted by the Xiamen Taiwan Businessmen Association over the weekend, where they met officials from Beijing’s Taiwan Affairs Office. The subject of their discussions was not divulged, leading to grave concern.
“KMT legislators rushed to fly to China, even though there is still lots of important work in the legislature. When asked, they refused to discuss their trip to Xiamen. Are they reporting to Chinese officials, who are now in charge of the KMT?” DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) said.
Photo: Lo Pei-de, Taipei Times
“Beijing’s stance is firm: Taiwan must not purchase any new weapons. The KMT should inform our public why they needed to rush to Xiamen to confer with Chinese officials so their intentions are clear, as they seem to take orders from China and act as their proxies here in Taiwan,” Wu said.
Weng yesterday said that when the legislative Procedure Committee meets today she would use her position as co-convener of the committee and would not place the bill on the schedule.
“Weng’s decision to stall the special defense budget defies majority public opinion. KMT legislators continue to defy prevailing public sentiment, receiving orders and acting as proxies for the Chinese government. We urge Taiwanese to closely watch what KMT members are doing,” Wu said.
KMT Legislator Wu Tsung-hsien (吳宗憲), acting as the KMT Culture and Communications Committee head, yesterday said there is a great deal of trade between Taiwan and China.
The government encourages businesses to make money in China while allowing those same businesses to be treated like orphans in China, he said.
DPP officials are concerned over the potential of being detained by Chinese authorities, so it is the opposition party that tries to understand the needs of Taiwanese businesses, he said.
“We are doing our best to address this, but the current government is using this to smear us,” Wu said.
Head of the business association Han Ying-huan (韓螢煥) said the legislators attended the association’s celebration as part of a private event, and it was simply an exchange. Taiwanese businesspeople hope that both sides of the Taiwan Strait can coexist peacefully without unnecessary disruptions, he added.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not