The High Court’s Tainan branch this month upheld a lower court’s ruling denying a man’s claim of self-defense after he pepper-sprayed his neighbor. The ruling is final and cannot be appealed.
On Aug. 10 last year, the defendant, surnamed Chuang (莊), was standing in the courtyard of his residence, arguing with his neighbor, court documents said.
The neighbor approached the gate and at one point extended his left hand over the top of the gate, pointing his finger at Chuang, the documents said.
Photo: CNA
Chuang took out pepper spray and sprayed the neighbor in his face, they said.
The neighbor experienced a burning sensation and sought medical attention before pressing charges against Chuang.
The judge in the initial trial in May concluded that while the neighbor had provoked Chuang and extended his hand over the gate, he did not actually open the gate and enter, nor did he physically assault Chuang.
If Chuang had genuinely been concerned for his personal safety, he could have kept his distance or called the police, the court concluded, adding that Chuang chose to confront the neighbor and pepper spray them.
This was not self-defense, but constituted assault, the court ruled.
In an appeal, Chuang said he had been repeatedly harassed by the neighbor for an extended period, and had often called the police and filed complaints.
During the incident last year, the neighbor yelled in front of his door, approached and grabbed the iron gate, Chuang said, adding that his elderly and infirm grandmother was standing near the gate, and he was concerned the neighbor might break in and harm her.
He used the pepper spray after repeatedly shouting “leave” and warning the neighbor that it was pepper spray, he said, adding that he believed he was protecting himself and his family.
After reviewing the surveillance footage, the High Court said the footage did not show the neighbor opening the gate or attacking.
Chuang did not experience any physical confrontation, nor was there any unlawful invasion, it said.
Chuang used the pepper spray, believing he was about to be attacked, but this did not meet the requirements for legitimate self-defense, it said, adding that the situation did not justify assault.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not