Taiwan Railway Corp (TRC) yesterday said it transported more than 30,000 people to Hualien County’s Guangfu Township (光復) on Saturday to help with disaster relief efforts after a barrier break caused severe flooding.
Heavy rainfall from Super Typhoon Ragasa caused a barrier lake, formed by mud slides in earlier storms, to burst and flood Guangfu on Tuesday last week, killing 17 people. Seven people remain missing.
Volunteers from across the nation have traveled to Hualien with shovels and hoes, nicknamed “Shovel Supermen,” to help clear the mud.
Photo: Wang Chin-yi, Taipei Times
“Many ‘supermen’ traveled to and from Guangfu covered in mud in the past few days. More than 30,000 of them had done so on Saturday alone. As such, traces of mud were found in some of the train cars and seats on board,” TRC wrote on Facebook.
“We are sending more people to clean cabins of eastbound trains. We hope that these ‘supermen’ can rest while on board,” it wrote.
The traces of mud left behind on the trains reflect the kind hearts and willingness to help that the Taiwanese volunteers have embodied efforts, it said, urging passengers’ to show patience and consideration amid the extenuating circumstances.
TRC said it would add four diesel-powered trains, two sets of Tzu-chiang-class express trains and two sets of EWU commuter trains, while 15 northbound and southbound trains would begin stopping at Guangfu to facilitate the movement of volunteers.
All new Tzu-chiang-class express trains operating between Hualien and Taitung counties would allow standing passengers, it added.
The EMU No. 4124 commuter train would extend service from Hualien City to Guangfu and stop at Jian (吉安), Jhihsyue (志學), Shoufong (壽豐), Fonglin (鳳林) and Wangrong (萬榮) railway stations, it said.
The Highway Bureau yesterday began offering free shuttle bus services to volunteers from their hotels to the nearest railway stations.
Staff of the Tourism Administration’s East Longitudinal Valley National Scenic Area would be stationed at the Guangfu Railway Station daily to help volunteers find accommodation in nearby towns.
Shuttle buses would be dispatched to transport volunteers between where they are staying and the closest railway stations from 7am to 10am and from 4pm to 8pm.
The bureau said it could adjust the schedules based on demand and as progress is made in rescue and reconstruction efforts.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not