The Executive Yuan today approved a special budget of NT$56 billion for Typhoon Danas recovery, which is to be discussed in the legislature.
The special spending plan would be used to support hard-hit areas, including Tainan, Kaohsiung, Chiayi, Pingtung County, Taitung County, Changhua County, Yunlin County and Nantou County, Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) said.
Cho yesterday met with Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) in hopes of gaining the legislature’s approval so that people can rebuild their homes as soon as possible, the Cabinet said.
Photo courtesy of a member of the public
Han has promised to prioritize the special act on the legislature’s agenda, Cho said.
The Cabinet would propose a special budget once the act passes its third reading, he said.
The disaster relief budget under the current regulations of the Disaster Prevention and Protection Act (災害防救法) is not enough as the situation is getting worse, Cho was quoted as saying by Executive Yuan spokesperson Michelle Lee (李慧芝) at a news briefing in Taipei today.
The special budget would be planned in phases, with the source of funding coming from annual surplus or borrowing, the Cabinet said.
The nine recovery and reconstruction projects include agricultural facility, electricity system, telecommunication and cable TV system, water and gas system, public facility, irrigation facility, road and traffic, environment hygiene, social recovery and industry promotion, according to the bill.
The act would be supervised by the Executive Yuan’s Public Construction Commission.
The special budget would be implemented by the Ministry of Agriculture, the Ministry of Economic Affairs, the Ministry of the Interior, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, the Ministry of Environment, the Ministry of Culture, the National Communications Commission, the Council of Indigenous Peoples and local governments.
The act would take effect until the end of 2027 after it is promulgated and could be extended with the approval of the legislature, according to the bill.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over