President William Lai’s (賴清德) latest speech was not fact-based and included rumors, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Hsu Chiao-hsin (徐巧芯) said today.
In Taipei last night, Lai delivered his fourth speech in a series of 10, focusing on national security and supporting the military.
Hsu, who was speaking at a news conference hosted by former Broadcasting Corp of China chairman Jaw Shaw-kong (趙少康), called Lai out on his statements about several military budget issues.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
While Lai said that the budget for the Chiayi County drone project was frozen, the Legislative Yuan’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee has already unfrozen it, Hsu said.
As for the domestic submarine project, the budget has never been frozen or cut; it was only subject to more oversight, Hsu said.
“How can the commander of our armed forces continue to spread false news?” Hsu asked.
While Lai said the budget for the Hai Kun (海鯤), or “Narwhal,” was frozen, it is pending the indigenous defense submarine prototype passing its ongoing tests, Hsu said.
The budget for the submarine is still there and can be used after testing, which is is a positive measure, she added.
Lai is spreading fake news, as it is the responsibility of legislators to safeguard the armed forces, Hsu said.
Minister of National Defense Wellington Koo (顧立雄) promised that the budget for subsequent submarines would not be used until the Hai Kun completes its tests, she said.
Responding to Lai’s statement that the national defense budget freeze and cuts were the largest in history, Hsu said that 97 percent of the cuts came from one drone project.
The budget was cut by NT$4.68 billion (US$160.41 million), NT$4.57 billion of which was for the drone project, she said.
It had a pricing error that saw its cost estimate rise from between NT$5.5 billion and NT$6 billion to NT$11.5 billion, leading to the extra portion being deleted, she said.
Among those who voted for the cut was Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Wang Ting-yu (王定宇), who is the committee’s convener and ended up being the deciding vote, Hsu said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not