The Executive Yuan yesterday approved a four-year plan to spend NT$8.8 billion (US$290.4 million) to bolster the nation’s cybersecurity resilience.
The Seventh National Cybersecurity Development Program is to focus on key areas such as developing cybersecurity talent within government agencies and raising public awareness of cybersecurity issues, the Executive Yuan said.
The program also aims to strengthen the information and communications security of critical infrastructure, and enhance defense mechanisms.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
The critical infrastructure spans at least six sectors: energy, water resources, transportation, communications, healthcare and welfare, and finance, Administration for Cyber Security Director-General Tsai Fu-long (蔡福隆) told a news conference.
The program would also focus on strengthening the cybersecurity industry by promoting a certification and verification system for information and communications products, and using artificial intelligence (AI)-driven technologies to automate protection against potential cyberattacks.
Deputy Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-jing (林宜敬) said a key feature of the program would be to leverage the strength of the private sector and help it expand internationally.
Citing Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC) as an example, Lin said the Ministry of Digital Affairs has collaborated with the company to establish SEMI E187, a specification for fab equipment that strengthens semiconductor information security.
The goal is for TSMC and other semiconductor companies to adopt the standard to help protect the cybersecurity of the nation’s semiconductor supply chain, he said.
The AI-driven proactive defense system uses generative AI to track hacker intrusions, identify their methods of attack and issue early warnings, Tsai said.
The government plans to allocate NT$8.8 billion for the program over a four-year period from this year to 2028.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not