The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Katsushika Hokusai is to headline a new exhibition starting at the end of this month at the Southern Branch of the National Palace Museum.
The masterpiece, on loan from the Tokyo Fuji Art Museum, is to be displayed from May 30 to June 29 as part of the museum’s three-month exhibition “The Beauty of the Floating World in Edo.”
The woodblock print captures towering waves “almost swallowing up” fishing boats beneath the serene Mount Fuji in the background, creating a “harmony between movement and stillness” in one of the most recognizable images in Japanese art, said Chu Lung-hsing (朱龍興), an associate researcher and curator of the exhibition at the museum.
Photo: CNA
The iconic print, which was created between 1831 and 1833, was selected as the main image for a new ¥1,000 banknote (US$7) issued by the Bank of Japan last year, Chu said.
The exhibition is to highlight the “vibrant delights of Edo-period urban life” through the 218 works on display, including folding screens, hand scrolls, prints and illustrated books, Chu said.
Most of the artworks are to come from prestigious Japanese institutions, including the Idemitsu Museum of Arts, Waseda University Tsubouchi Memorial Theatre Museum, Kuboso Memorial Museum of Arts, Tokyo Metropolitan Library, Tokyo Fuji Art Museum and the National Museum of Japanese History.
The exhibition is to be organized into four sections: River Prosperity, Urban Times, Travel Fun and Cross-cultural Exchange, Chu said.
The Great Wave will only be on display until June 29, but the whole exhibition is to run until Aug. 31, with the works rotated during this period to offer fresh visitor experiences, Chu said.
Regular admission to the Southern Branch of the National Palace Museum in Taibao City (太保) in Chiayi County is NT$150 for visitors of all nationalities, information on the museum’s Web site says.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not