Taiwan yesterday condemned the recent increase in Chinese coast guard-escorted fishing vessels operating illegally in waters around the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) in the South China Sea.
Unusually large groupings of Chinese fishing vessels began to appear around the islands on Feb. 15, when at least six motherships and 29 smaller boats were sighted, the Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said in a news release.
While CGA vessels were dispatched to expel the Chinese boats, Chinese coast guard ships trespassed into Taiwan’s restricted waters and unsuccessfully attempted to interfere, the CGA said.
Photo courtesy of the Coast Guard Administration via CNA
Due to the provocation, the CGA initiated an operation to increase patrols around the Dongsha Islands, it added.
On Feb. 26, the CGA stopped and boarded the Chinese fishing vessel Yueraoyu 23588, and two Chinese coast guard vessels attempted to intervene, it said.
On Tuesday last week, the CGA stopped another Chinese vessel and was again interrupted by the Chinese coast guard, it added.
Similar incidents also occurred between Wednesday last week and Tuesday, when Chinese coast guard vessels lingered near the restricted waters around the Dongsha Islands, the CGA said.
The CGA condemned the actions of the Chinese coast guard, saying the interference was an act of provocation against Taiwan’s sovereignty.
The Dongsha Atoll National Park is Taiwan’s first marine national park and there are clear regulations banning commercial and private fishing in the area, it said.
Taiwan’s conservation efforts in the area have resulted in its marine population being rich and abundant, it said.
By comparison, China has heavily depleted its ocean resources, which is why Chinese fishers are trespassing into Taiwan’s waters to fish illegally, it added.
In observation of the UN’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, Taiwan would continue to combat illegal fishing and activities that seek to ruin the sustainability of marine life, it said.
Having its coast guard chaperone its vessels to engage in illegal fishing shows a complete disregard for ocean sustainability, the CGA said.
The Chinese coast guard’s actions not only heightened cross-strait tension, but also disrupted peace, it said, vowing to continue monitoring the activities of the Chinese coast guard to defend Taiwan’s sovereignty and ensure the sustainability of marine resources.
Considering that most countries issue more than five denominations of banknotes, the central bank has decided to redesign all five denominations, the bank said as it prepares for the first major overhaul of the banknotes in more than 24 years. Central bank Governor Yang Chin-lung (楊金龍) is expected to report to the Legislative Yuan today on the bank’s operations and the redesign’s progress. The bank in a report sent to the legislature ahead of today’s meeting said it had commissioned a survey on the public’s preferences. Survey results showed that NT$100 and NT$1,000 banknotes are the most commonly used, while NT$200 and NT$2,000
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the first case of a new COVID-19 subvariant — BA.3.2 — in a 10-year-old Singaporean girl who had a fever upon arrival in Taiwan and tested positive for the disease. The girl left Taiwan on March 20 and the case did not have a direct impact on the local community, it said. The WHO added the BA.3.2 strain to its list of Variants Under Monitoring in December last year, but this was the first imported case of the COVID-19 variant in Taiwan, CDC Deputy Director-General Lin Ming-cheng (林明誠) said. The girl arrived in Taiwan on
ANNUAL EVENT: Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in Daan Park, with an event zone operating from 10am to 6pm This year’s Taipei Floral Picnic is to be held at Daan Park today and tomorrow, featuring an exclusive Pokemon Go event, a themed food market, a coffee rave picnic area and stage performances, the Taipei Department of Information and Tourism said yesterday. Two massive Pokemon balloons are to be set up in the park as attractions, with an exclusive event zone operating from 10am to 6pm, it said. Participants who complete designated tasks on-site would have a chance to receive limited-edition souvenirs, it added. People could also try the newly launched game Pokemon Pokopia in the trial area, the department said. Three PokeStops are
South Korea is planning to revise its controversial electronic arrival card, a step Taiwanese officials said prompted them to hold off on planned retaliatory measures, a South Korean media report said yesterday. A Yonhap News Agency report said that the South Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs is planning to remove the “previous departure place” and “next destination” fields from its e-arrival card system. The plan, reached after interagency consultations, is under review and aims to simplify entry procedures and align the electronic form with the paper version, a South Korean ministry official said. The fields — which appeared only on the electronic form