The Ministry of National Defense is aiming to bolster the military arsenal by procuring four specific types of attack drones, a senior military official said on the condition of anonymity.
The drones include ones designed to execute short-range strikes, carry loitering munitions, take off and land vertically while changing flight attitude, and carry ammunition similar to a missile, but have extremely low costs.
Drones that can execute short-range strikes could launch direct attacks on the enemy, while those that are able to carry loitering munitions on board could carry out “suicide” attacks after locking in targets, the source said.
Photo: Screen grab from the institute’s Web site
The ministry has purchased four MQ-9B drones and 685 Switchblade 300 drones from the US. It also tasked the Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology (CSIST) to build Teng Yun (騰雲) drones and Chien Hsiang (劍翔) loitering munitions.
Meanwhile, the ministry tasked private contractors to build commercial drones for military use, which would enhance survivability and reconnaissance capabilities.
The CSIST is producing 200 second-generation Chien Hsiang drones, which can conduct cross-strait warfare with their ability to fly up to 1,000km. The Cat 1 loitering munition can be carried by individual soldiers, while Cat 2 can be installed on motor vehicles and ships.
Separately, the CSIST is scheduled to begin trials in June for uncrewed attack boats as part of the Kuachi Project (快奇專案), in which private contractors would be invited to participate, a source familiar with the matter said.
The project was launched to counter Chinese military expansion and “gray zone” harassment by enhancing asymmetric warfare capabilities. China has intensified its harassment against Taiwan, intending to exhaust the military and coast guard.
The project’s goal is to develop uncrewed attack boats that could carry explosives and be remotely controlled. The boats are scheduled to begin mass production next year, if they pass operational tests and evaluations by the end of this year. Private contractors such as Lungteh, Jong Shyn and CSBC would be invited to send their vessels for the trial, when the functions of the CSIST-produced uncrewed attack boats would be tested, the source said.
Results of the trial would affect subsequent research and development efforts, as well as mass production, they said.
In related news, the navy yesterday said that drills in waters southwest of Pingtung County scheduled for March 24 are “routine” exercises and would not involve live-fire training.
Local media had suggested that the exercises, which were announced by the navy on Thursday last week, could target an area in which alleged Chinese-owned ships flying flags of convenience have spent extended periods in recent days.
The coast guard should be able to “handle” the six vessels in waters around Taiwan, said Su Tzu-yun (蘇紫雲), research fellow and director of the Division of Defense Strategy and Resources at the Institute for National Defense and Security Research.
“The traditional division of labor between the coast guard and navy is based on a 24 nautical mile [44.4km] boundary,” Su said, adding that the coast guard controls waters within 24 nautical miles of Taiwan’s coastline, while the navy is responsible for the area beyond.
“However, when there are many targets and the frequency is high, the coast guard and navy support each other’s missions,” Su said.
The drills might be related to underwater infrastructure, including submarine telecommunications cables or power lines connecting offshore wind turbines, Su said.
Additional reporting by CNA
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
BETTER SERVICE QUALITY: From Nov. 10, tickets with reserved seats would only be valid for the date, train and route specified on the ticket, THSRC said Starting on Nov. 10, high-speed rail passengers with reserved seats would be required to exchange their tickets to board an earlier train. Passengers with reserved seats on a specific train are currently allowed to board earlier trains on the same day and sit in non-reserved cars, but as this is happening increasingly often, and affecting quality of travel and ticket sales, Taiwan High-Speed Rail Corp (THSRC) announced that it would be canceling the policy on Nov. 10. It is one of several new measures launched by THSRC chairman Shih Che (史哲) to improve the quality of service, it said. The company also said