The Legislative Yuan today passed a bill extending the deadline for certain accommodations to apply for hotel registration, including national hero houses, teachers’ hostels and China Youth Corps (CYC) activity centers.
A 2015 amendment to the Act for the Development of Tourism (發展觀光條例) required these accommodations to apply for hotel registration within 10 years to continue operating.
These accommodations, which target specific demographics and operate as hotels without being managed under related regulations, are widely considered as unfair by the hotel industry.
Photo: Tien Yu-hua, Taipei Times
Another amendment proposed by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chen Hsueh-sheng (陳雪生) and others was passed by the legislature today, extending the deadline by an additional five years.
The original deadline of Jan. 21 has been extended to Jan. 21, 2030, allowing the facilities to continue operating as hostels.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators criticized the bill, accusing the KMT of granting special privileges to these groups.
KMT legislators cited the contributions these facilities made during the COVID-19 pandemic for epidemic prevention and disaster relief.
The five-year extension is a way to reward their contributions and give them ample time to apply for hotel registration, KMT legislators said.
The KMT is “committed to protecting grassroots rights, pursuing a reasonable system and benefiting the people,” KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Szu-ming (林思銘) said.
Many accommodations have been unable to complete their registration within 10 years, reflecting inadequate policies in the original amendment, Lin said.
If the deadline is not extended, the livelihood of their employees would be significantly impacted, Lin added.
Rather than criticizing the bill, the DPP should focus on developing and expanding tourism, KMT Legislator Yu Hao (游顥) said.
The CYC and other entities should work hard within the next five years to apply for registration, diversifying accommodation options in Taiwan, Yu said.
The bill could help revive Hualien County’s tourism industry, which took a hit following the earthquake on April 3 last year, Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Legislator Lin Yi-chun (林憶君) said.
DPP Legislator Hsu Fu-kuei (徐富癸) accused opposition parties of forcing through an irresponsible bill that would be detrimental to current policies and the nation’s future.
Even with five more years, CYC activity centers would still be unable to pass fire safety, building management and health inspections due to zoning restrictions and other regulations, Hsu said.
The amendment also raises penalties for those who operate hotels, travel agencies or tourism recreational businesses without the proper licenses or registration.
Violators would face fines between NT$100,000 and NT$2 million (US$3,055 and US$61,180) and be ordered to cease operations.
The amendment further stipulates that hotels, travel agencies and tourism recreational businesses that fail to pass inspection by the competent authority would be ordered to make improvements within a given time frame.
If they fail to do so, they would be fined between NT$30,000 and NT$300,000.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a