The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday defended amendments to the Act Governing the Allocation of Government Revenues and Expenditures (財政收支劃分法) that the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said would necessitate an overhaul of the 2025 general budget.
The amendments, if promulgated into law, would allocate 60 percent of available funding to local governments rather than 25 percent, which would result in an annual reduction to central government spending power of NT$375.3 billion (US$11.48 billion), the Directorate-General of Budgeting, Accounting, and Statistics (DGBAS) said.
At a news conference yesterday, KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Szu-ming (林思銘) rejected claims made by government ministers that the revisions, which cleared the legislature on Friday following brawls between lawmakers, would harm central government spending on defense, social welfare and other major programs.
Photo: CNA
Lin said that the reallocation of funding would instead reward fiscally responsible local governments and encourage them to promote economic development and create jobs, rather than relying on central government handouts.
“When President William Lai (賴清德) was mayor of Tainan, he called for amendments to the Act Governing the Allocation of Government Revenues and Expenditures,” Lin said, suggesting that the DPP also sought greater funds for local governments when it previously was in opposition.
“Basically, what [for them] was right yesterday is wrong today,” Lin said. “They changed places and changed their minds.”
DGBAS Minister Chen Shu-tzu (陳淑姿) said the changes would cause “procedural chaos” in relation to the 2025 general budget, which has already been hotly contested by lawmakers in the past few months.
The central government would lose 9 percent of its total revenue if the law goes into effect, Chen said.
That would necessitate massive reductions in spending, including cuts for defense that would be equivalent to a 28 percent reduction, Chen added.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over