The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday urged Beijing not to use military provocations or other methods to threaten or suppress Taiwan and undermine the “status quo,” as it expressed gratitude to friendly countries and diplomatic allies for showing concern in the past week.
“MOFA again urges China to recognize the Republic of China’s (Taiwan) existence,” the ministry said in a news release.
It also urged Beijing to respect the democratic and free way of life Taiwanese chose.
Photo: Yang Cheng-yu, Taipei Times
The ministry said it is willing to work with China in maintaining regional security, and pursuing peace and common prosperity.
“Do not attempt to use military provocations or other methods to threaten or suppress Taiwan and undermine the regional status quo,” the ministry said, adding that only through dialogue can the two sides develop a friendly relationship which meets the international society’s expectations.
“Maintaining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait is in the common interest of both sides of the Taiwan Strait and the international society,” the ministry said.
There is a consensus among the international society on maintaining peace and stability in the Strait and the wider Indo-Pacific region, it added.
“MOFA sincerely thanks our allies, the US, the UK, France, Germany, New Zealand, Lithuania, South Korea and more than 30 countries’ governments or parliament members, as well as the EU, for publicly expressing their concerns about China once again conducting military drills to intimidate our nation,” the ministry said.
Some also stressed the importance of maintaining peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait, and called on China to act with restraint and resolve disagreements through dialogue, it said.
China’s People’s Liberation Army deployed fighter jets and warships to encircle Taiwan and held military exercises around the nation on Monday last week.
The ministry also urged all countries to continue showing support for Taiwan and concern about the situation in the Strait, as Taiwan will continue to work with allies and like-minded countries to protect the rules-based international order, the ministry said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not