The Ministry of National Defense’s five-year defense plan presented to the Legislative Yuan showed a worrying decrease in the recruitment of voluntary forces, National Policy Foundation associate research fellow Chieh Chung (竭仲) said.
Chieh said the ministry’s budget proposal for next year would decrease the number of total positions in the all-voluntary force by 5,486 people, or about 11 battalions, compared with this year.
The total personnel count for next year would be its lowest, while this year’s numbers were already down 5,187, to 166,235, compared with last year, he said.
Photo: Taipei Times
The cut positions comprised mostly low-level non-commissioned officers (NCOs) and privates first class, he said, adding that the military might lose more than 9 percent of its NCOs and senior soldiers.
It was also worrying that the reductions were often from units preparing for combat duty, he said, citing proposed budget cuts for additional payouts to units on combat duty, down about 9 percent, or NT$368.47 million (US$11.49 million), from NT$4.11 billion this year
The unplanned-for decrease in positions could be due to a personnel shortage within the military’s all-volunteer force, which has been under duress due to increased drills and combat missions, Chieh said.
The military would receive at least 15 types of new equipment over the next three to five years, further taxing an already understaffed military, while the government aims to increase its size and prepare for possible war, he said.
The military has been bleeding personnel at the ground level over the past few years, a situation that would only be exacerbated in the coming years, he said.
In response, the ministry yesterday said that the total number of reduced positions was from all military units and was not a concentrated effort to undercut any single unit.
The ministry also denied that 11 battalions would be removed.
Declining birthrates and the military competing with the private sector to hire staff had affected the all-voluntary force program since 2022, it said, adding that the average personnel-to-division rate was about 78.6 percent, or about 21.4 percent understrength.
The ministry said it is implementing measures to increase personnel retention and recruitment efficacy to mitigate personnel loss.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated