Former vice premier Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦) was released yesterday on bail of NT$28 million (US$876,369) in Taoyuan after being indicted on corruption charges the day before.
Cheng had been held incommunicado since he was detained in Taoyuan based on a court order issued on July 11.
As part of the conditions of his release, he is required to remain at his residence and is not allowed to leave the country for eight months, prosecutors said.
Photo: CNA
He is also forbidden from making contact with witnesses or other defendants in the case, they said.
Four other suspects involved in the case who had been detained were also released on bail.
Hou Shui-wen (侯水文), former executive general manager of Formosa Plastics Group, was released on bail of NT$2.05 million; Liao Chun-sung (廖俊松), former head of an industrial zone planning committee in Linkou, was released on bail of NT$1.1 million; while two of Liao’s sons, Liao Chia-hsing (廖家興) and Liao Li-ting (廖力廷), were released on bail of NT$600,000 and NT$250,000 respectively.
The Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office told a news conference on Tuesday that it recommended a 12-year jail sentence for Cheng for allegedly receiving a NT$5 million bribe while he was Taoyuan mayor to broker an industrial development project in the city’s Hwa Ya Technology Park (華亞科技園區) in Linkou District (林口) in 2017.
Following Tuesday’s indictments, the case was transferred to the Taoyuan District Court, which held a hearing at 9:30pm the same day.
At 1:30am the court ruled at the hearing that Cheng be granted bail of NT$28 million, the highest bail amount given to any political figure in recent years.
A lawyer representing Cheng brought the bail money at about 2:41am and the visibly tired former vice premier left the court without speaking to reporters at about 5am.
Cheng is also under investigation in a separate case, after NT$6.78 million in cash was discovered at his Taipei residence during a search by prosecutors on July 29.
Cheng, 57, served as vice premier from Jan. 31 last year to May 20 during former president Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) second term. He was the first major of the then-newly established Taoyuan special municipality from 2014 to 2022.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as