There was no need to continue court-run mediation with Taiwan Mobile over fines it has accumulated for not returning excess bandwidth it obtained through a merger with Taiwan Star, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday, adding that the firm would face more fines if it uses the bandwidth to offer services.
The nation’s three telecoms are permitted no more than 50 megahertz (MHz) of bandwidth below 1GHz, where radio waves have greater penetration and diffraction capabilities, enabling broader 5G coverage.
However, Taiwan Mobile obtained 60MHz in the bandwidth due to its merger with Taiwan Star, a deal that the commission approved last year on the condition that Taiwan Mobile returned 10MHz to the government, or sold or transferred it to another telecom by June 30.
Photo: Tsai Ssu-pei, Taipei Times
Taiwan Mobile challenged the NCC ruling at the High Court last year and twice requested an extension to use all of its bandwidth, with both being denied by the NCC.
The NCC has fined Taiwan Mobile three times since the deadline passed for using the excess bandwidth to offer services, with fines of NT$3 million (US$93,932) for each instance. The company was also ordered to pay a single default surcharge of NT$600,000 for missing the payment deadline twice.
As of yesterday, the company had paid NT$3 million in fines and NT$300,000 toward the default surcharge, the commission said.
Taiwan Mobile sought to settle the dispute with the NCC through mediation.
On Tuesday, it said in a statement that it had proposed nine so-called public welfare programs in exchange for waiving administrative penalties and asked the NCC to quickly choose one of them.
Some of the programs were to donate 10,000 4G smartphones equipped with the VOLTE system; to donate 5,000 5G smartphones; to donate 3,000 tablet computers or electronic readers; and to sponsor 1,000 low-income families with children in rural areas by providing tablet computers and smartphones to access broadband services free of charge for two years.
Asked which program the commission intended to choose, NCC Secretary-General Huang Wen-che (黃文哲) said commissioners yesterday ruled that continuing the mediation proceeding is not necessary.
“What the company did not tell the public was that it had also requested an extension until Sept. 15 to dispose of the excess bandwidth and that it would shut down base stations that operate using the excess bandwidth only after they have been integrated with other base stations,” Huang said. “This means it would continue using the excess bandwidth until Sept. 15.”
In a letter on Monday last week, Taiwan Mobile asked the to NCC stop issuing unfavorable rulings against it over the excess bandwidth and abolish those already issued, Huang said.
The company also told the court that all four NCC commissioners must be at the mediation proceedings on Thursday next week, he said.
“We have noticed that the company has recently recruited more workers to shorten the time needed to integrate base stations,” he said. “This proves that returning the excess bandwidth by June 30 was not an unreasonable request.”
“As to the public welfare programs proposed by Taiwan Mobile, it is difficult to say that they are reasonable offers and can effectively compensate consumers and maintain order in the telecom market,” Huang said.
“We also found it difficult to believe Taiwan Mobile is sincere about settling the matter in mediation, given that in its brief to the court, it spoke rashly regarding the NCC commissioners’ ruling,” he said, adding that he could not understand why a publicly listed firm would make such requests.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as