Taxi drivers who provide purchasing and delivery services should exercise caution, after a driver became implicated in a money-laundering scheme when he bought prepaid cards for a customer, the Criminal Investigation Bureau said.
In June, a taxi driver surnamed Chiang (蔣) purchased prepaid Apple Store and Taiwan Mobile cards at a convenience store at a customer’s request, the bureau said on July 28.
The customer agreed to transfer the money to Chiang first, and paid him a NT$100 fee for the service, it said.
Photo: Screen grab from the Bureau’s Facebook page
Chiang bought one NT$3,000 Apple Store card and two NT$300 Taiwan Mobile cards, as requested, and sent the customer photographs of the cards’ serial numbers, the bureau said.
Chiang later spoke about the transaction with another driver, who told him that he had also fulfilled a similar request for a customer.
The other driver said his bank account was frozen after buying the cards, and he was shocked to learn that the customer making the request had been laundering money.
Taxis offer a variety of services to stay competitive, but criminals could use them for money laundering, the bureau said.
In Chiang’s case, the suspect had used a third party to make the bank transfer to Chiang to try to avoid detection, it said.
Suspects typically sell the prepaid cards online for less than the cards’ face value, but as the cards are used for criminal activity and become inactive, the purchaser becomes a victim, it said.
“Prepaid cards are often used by criminals as they are anonymous, quick and easy to transfer, and can be used to purchase and resell other items,” it said. “This anonymity and ease of transfer makes them an easy tool for money laundering and fraud.”
The bureau urged people to avoid helping others purchase prepaid cards and other high-risk products that can be used for money laundering, to avoid becoming an accomplice in fraud.
People with questions can call the 165 anti-fraud hotline, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as