The Taoyuan District Court yesterday granted bail for a second time to former vice premier Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦) after rejecting a detention request from prosecutors investigating graft allegations against him.
The ruling was made despite the High Court on Monday overturning the lower court’s decision on Saturday to grant him bail.
Cheng, a member of the Democratic Progressive Party, was released by the district court for a second time yesterday after paying bail of NT$12 million (US$368,777). The court also imposed limits on his movements and banned him from leaving the country.
Photo: Cheng Shu-ting, Taipei Times
Prosecutors appealed the ruling at the bail hearing.
On Friday last week, Cheng was summoned by the Taoyuan District Prosecutors’ Office as part of an investigation into alleged corruption involving a land zoning deal that occurred while he was Taoyuan mayor from December 2014 to December 2022.
After questioning him, prosecutors said they suspected Cheng of accepting a bribe, leaking information to other suspects and laundering money, and filed a motion to detain him and hold him incommunicado.
He was released on NT$5 million bail the following day.
The district court said that because prosecutors had collected detailed evidence of Cheng’s alleged involvement in the corruption case, which occurred seven years ago, there was no need to detain him.
While Cheng took a NT$5 million payment that might have been related to a developer’s plans to expand the Hwa Ya Technology Park (華亞科技園區) in Linkou District (林口) in 2017, he returned the money the next year, the district court said.
There was therefore no evidence supporting charges that Cheng concealed illegal proceeds, it said.
However, Cheng’s movements would still be restricted and he was barred from leaving Taiwan, and he was also prohibited from contacting other suspects and witnesses in the case, it said.
The High Court said it revoked the original bail ruling and ordered another bail hearing because of several issues, such as why the district court ignored the possibility that Cheng might collude with other witnesses or tamper with evidence.
The DPP on Monday said it decided during an extraordinary meeting that if Cheng were detained, he would be suspended from the party for three years.
If he was found guilty in a first trial (before an appeal could be filed), there would be further discussion of punishment that could lead to Cheng being expelled from the party.
After serving as Taoyuan mayor for two terms, Cheng was vice premier from January last year to May 20, when he was appointed chairman of the Straits Exchange Foundation.
He stepped down from his post on Sunday amid the corruption allegations.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to
A British man was arrested for attempting to smuggle 14.37kg of marijuana into Taiwan through Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei Customs said late yesterday. The man, who arrived from Bangkok at 9pm on Friday, was asked by customs officers to open his luggage during a random inspection, Taipei Customs said in a news release. The passenger, whose identity was not disclosed, refused to open his suitcase and tried to flee the restricted area. He was eventually subdued by three customs officials and an Aviation Police Bureau officer. A later search of his checked luggage uncovered 14.37kg of marijuana buds. The case was handed over