The Yunlin District Prosecutors’ Office on Friday filed a motion with the Yunlin District Court to detain four Vietnamese migrant workers and a Taiwanese national over the alleged kidnapping and possible murder of Vietnamese national.
The filing came after the five people were arrested on Wednesday for their suspected involvement in the kidnapping and death of a 24-year-old Vietnamese worker, surnamed Vu, who was employed in Taoyuan.
Prosecutors said that they were concerned that if the suspects were released, they would pose a flight risk and coordinate their testimony.
Photo: Huang Shu-li, Taipei Times
Yunlin Distrcit Prosecutor Chu Chi-jen (朱啟仁) said that his office was made aware of the case by the Taoyuan Police Department’s Jhongli Precinct on Tuesday.
A special task force made up of multiple police departments and the National Immigration Agency initiated an investigation, Chu said, narrowing the list of suspects to four Vietnamese migrant workers and a Taiwanese national.
Led by Yunlin District Prosecutor Yan Li-jing (顏鸝靚), the task force searched the premises occupied by the suspects on Wednesday and arrested three Vietnamese men identified only by their surnames, Le, Hoang and Vu-Duy, Chu said.
It also brought in a Vietnamese woman named Nguyen, and a Taiwanese man surnamed Hsu (許).
In a statement, prosecutors said Le and Nguyen were a couple, and they allegedly began planning to hold Vu for ransom as early as last month after Nguyen became acquainted with the victim online.
Once the couple gained information on Vu’s family finances, they devised a plan to have Nguyen persuade Vu to travel from Taoyuan to Douliou City (斗六) in Yunlin County.
When Vu showed up, Le and the others allegedly forced him into a vehicle and held him against his will in a factory dormitory somewhere in the county’s Sihhu Township (四湖), prosecutors said.
The suspects then allegedly called Vu’s father in Vietnam via video to demand a ransom of 200 million dong (US$7,988).
However, after the elder Vu wired the money, the suspects continued to hold the victim in a motel, intending to extort more money from Vu’s family, prosecutors said.
Investigators found that while captive, Vu had tissue paper stuffed into his mouth and tape wrapped around his eyes, mouth and nose to prevent him from calling for help.
Vu eventually died, which might have been caused by his treatment, the task force said, which prompted the suspects to bury his body on a Baojhong Township (褒忠) sugarcane farm, prosecutors said.
On Thursday, the task force took the suspects to the sugarcane farm where the decomposing corpse was found, prosecutors said.
Fingerprint matching showed that the deceased was Vu, and an autopsy confirmed Vu’s cause of death.
Prosecutors said they believe the five suspects kidnapped Vu for ransom, which violates Article 348-1 of Taiwan’s Criminal Code.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and