Prosecutors yesterday requested jail terms of up to five years for Launch Technologies Co chairman Liu An-hao (劉安皓) and five other executives for their roles in a factory fire in September 2023 that killed 10 people and injured more than 100.
The Pingtung District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Liu, general manager Lu Ying-cheng (呂英誠) and four others on charges including involuntary manslaughter and negligence leading to injury.
Prosecutors are seeking the maximum prison sentence of five years for Liu and Lu, citing a disregard for worker safety, including having employees work in a dangerous workplace in which they were constantly under pressure.
Photo: Lee Li-fa, Taipei Times
Liu and Lu failed to prepare safety data displays of information on hazardous chemical products in the workplace, prosecutors said, adding that after the fire the two made excuses and tried to avoid responsibility by blaming others.
The office recommended jail terms of four years and eight months, or four years and 10 months for the other four executives.
The blaze and subsequent explosions at the golf ball factory last year were triggered by 3 tonnes of highly combustible organic peroxides used to manufacture golf ball cores, the office said.
The substance was illegally stored, it said.
Regulations stipulate that the factory was only allowed to have up to 100kg of organic peroxides on site and it had to be stored at ambient temperatures of under 30°C, it said.
Poor storage conditions likely led to the uncontrolled decomposition of the organic compounds, and resulted in the fire and explosions, prosecutors said.
The blaze occurred at the company’s factory at the Pingtung Technology Industrial Park on Sept. 22 last year.
Four firefighters were among those who died, with 14 firefighters among those who were injured.
Advanced International Multitech (VN) Co, the parent company of Launch Technologies, said it “respected” the office’s decision and had reached settlements with many of the people injured in the fire or the families of those who died.
It has set up a NT$500 million (US$16.05 million) trust fund for payments to employees who were affected and the families of those who died, it said.
As of Monday, it had spoken with 129 people affected and reached settlements in 89 cases, with payments so far totaling about NT$240 million, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and