The rate at which furniture is being thrown away is rising, the Ministry of Environment said, with 170,000 tonnes of bulky waste reported last year through September and the full-year total expected to exceed the amount from a year earlier.
Bulky waste grew to 220,000 tonnes in 2022, the most ever, with about 20 percent growth compared with 2021, when 180,000 tonnes of bulky waste was recorded, the data showed.
The ministry said that the growth in the number of pieces of furniture being disposed of is due to the rise of more affordable “fast furniture,” which leads to a heightened rate of replacement.
Photo courtesy of the Taoyuan Department of Environmental Protection
Department of Environmental Administration Common Disposables Management Division deputy director-general Liu Chu-ti (劉俊?) on Saturday last week said that the ministry has not conducted a more detailed inventory check of bulky waste items and cannot say for certain what items are contributing to the growing figures.
Traditional furniture is made of hardwood, which normally has some value after many years of use, whether it is repaired or recycled, but the fast furniture trend does not prioritize durability, instead focusing on affordability or design, he said.
This leads to more easily damaged parts, resulting in a lot of furniture being thrown away after one or two years of use, he said.
Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan have established sites to promote recycling and reusing furniture, providing the opportunity to obtain second-hand furniture at a lower price while reducing the amount of waste, he said.
Taipei Department of Environmental Affairs Recycling Division chief Wu Chen-hao (吳鎮豪) said an increased number of large dinner tables indicates a change in habits or smaller families than before.
Wu said the increased number of disposed TV cabinets shows that people prefer to hang TVs on walls to save space or that some households no longer have TVs.
Meanwhile, a third-party report commissioned by the ministry said the country’s annual rate of mattress disposal — at 746,000 — exceeds its recycling capacity, adding that at least 140,000 mattresses have not been recycled yet and have been stacked up at recycling stations.
Taoyuan has the most non-recycled mattresses, and the ministry has allotted funding to subsidize the city to purchase more crushers, Liu said.
However, even with more crusher machines, a great number of workers is required to dismantle pocket-spring mattresses before they can be crushed, Liu said, adding that as the Lunar New Year holiday is often a peak period of old mattresses being retired, local cleaning crews have to set aside mattress processing for the time being.
Latex and filling from mattresses are usually incinerated, but as most incinerators are old, the calorific value of incinerators is often not enough to process the fillings and latex, resulting in slower processing, he said.
Ministry official Lin Chien-san (林建三) said the ministry is assessing the possibility of having mattress producers assist in recycling of used mattresses and making them officially recyclable items, but further talks are needed.
Taiwan’s annual mattress sales average 330,000, with a market value estimated at NT$10 billion (US$319.4 million), but distributors said that they do not have a system in place to recycle mattresses and they would discuss the issue with local governments.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as