Master Taiwanese pool player Yang Ching-shun (楊清順) passed away on Wednesday, Taiwan’s billiards federation said. He was 45.
The federation on Facebook expressed its sadness over the passing of Yang, one of Taiwan’s top pool players internationally and a gold medalist at the 1998 and 2002 Asian Games in men’s individual events.
He is regarded as one of the most talented pool players of his generation covering the late 1990s and early 2000s, earning the nickname “Son of Pool” for his overall excellence with a cue.
Photo: Wang Jung-hsiang, Taipei Times
“To the legend, ‘the Son of Pool,’ Yang Ching-shun (1978.04.03-2023.12.06),” the federation wrote as it thanked him for his contributions to the development of billiards in Taiwan.
The post was later deleted at the request of Yang’s family.
Billiards coach and commentator Chang Ming-hsiung (張明雄) told Chinese-language media that Yang died of cancer.
United Daily News quoted Chang as saying that Yang was diagnosed with an unidentified cancer about a year ago and had undergone chemotherapy.
“He chose to keep his fight against cancer a secret and did not want us to make it public,” he told the newspaper.
The Kaohsiung native started playing pool professionally in 1996 and became the youngest champion at the All Japan Championship when he won the 1996 title at the age of 18.
He went on to win the nine-ball event at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok against then-World Pool champion Kunihiko Takahashi and won at the World Games in Akita, Japan, in 2001.
His best finish at the World Pool Championships was third, when he reached the tournament’s semi-finals in 2002.
During the second half of the 1990s, Yang won at least one international pool title a year except for 1999, when he was serving in the military.
He announced his retirement from professional pool in 2010.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not