From Monday next week, people who receive telephone calls on landlines from numbers that begin with +886 9 are to hear a seven-second alert informing them that it is an international call and could be a scam, the National Communications Commission said yesterday.
The service is offered free of charge by Chunghwa Telecom, which has a 93 percent share of Taiwan’s landline market.
The measure is part of the government’s efforts to curb telephone scams, as fraudsters often work from offshore call centers, the commission said.
Photo: Ting Yi, Taipei Times
Since May, the commission has been working with telecoms to block calls that begin with +886 0-8, it said.
From next week, people with subscriptions to the landline service of Chunghwa Telecom who receive a call from such numbers would hear an alert telling them it is an international call and could be a scam, the commission said, adding that the alert would be made in Mandarin and Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese).
The duration of the alert is 6.5 to 7 seconds, and subscribers would not be charged for listening to it, it said.
The alert can be skipped by pressing any number on the keypad, the commission said.
People who regularly receive international calls can apply to have the alert deactivated, it said.
All five telecoms in Taiwan — Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Mobile, Far EasTone Telecommunications, Asia-Pacific Telecom and Taiwan Star Telecom — from the end of October would offer the same service to mobile phone service subscribers, the commission said.
Telecoms would need to procure equipment to make the service available to mobile users, it said.
Two people were killed and another nine injured yesterday after being stung by hornets while hiking in New Taipei City’s Rueifang District (瑞芳), with officials warning against wearing perfume or straying from trails during the autumn to avoid the potentially deadly creatures. Seven of the hikers only sustained minor injuries after being stung along the Bafenliao Hiking Trail (八分寮) and made their way down the mountain with a guide, the New Taipei City Fire Department said. Four of them — all male — sustained more serious injuries and were assisted when leaving the mountain, the department said. Two of them, a man surnamed
Recent movements by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have been “highly unusual,” but the military maintains a grasp of the situation, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said on Friday, after the military for the first time said it was monitoring troop movements in China’s Dacheng Bay (大埕灣). The minister gave the remarks to reporters before appearing at the legislature on the first day of its new session. The Ministry of National Defense on Thursday evening released an air force surveillance photograph of a PLA Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft, and said it was monitoring the PLA Rocket Force and ground
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching