A proposed referendum to expedite the execution of prisoners sentenced to death is unlikely to be held this year, the Central Election Commission (CEC) said yesterday.
The proposal initiated by Hsu Shao-chan (徐紹展), chairman of the Taiwan Lily Justice Association, was submitted to the CEC in February. The commission on May 11 held a hearing on the proposal’s wording and legal validity.
It asks voters whether they agree with “adding a second clause to Article 145 of the Prison Act (監獄行刑法) stating that the execution of a prisoner sentenced to death should take place within six months of the verdict being handed down, unless otherwise stipulated by law.”
In a legislative hearing yesterday, CEC Chairman Lee Chin-yung (李進勇) was asked by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lee De-wei (李德維) whether the commission was deliberately delaying the proposal to keep it off the ballot.
If the referendum is not formally announced this week, it would not meet the legal requirements to be held this year, he said.
Lee Chin-yung said that the proposed referendum likely “will not make it in time” to be held this year.
He said the reason was the proposal’s late submission date, not because his agency was trying to delay it.
According to the Referendum Act (公民投票法), referendums can be held on the fourth Saturday of August once every two years starting from 2021.
The CEC is required to announce a referendum at least 90 days before it takes place, in a notice containing the vote’s date, time, official text and the reasons for its proposal.
To pass, a referendum question must receive “yes” votes from at least one-quarter of all eligible voters, and the number of “yes” votes must exceed that of the “no” votes.
In the nation’s previous non-constitutional referendum in 2021, all four questions were rejected.
It consisted of questions on resuming construction at the mothballed Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮), banning pork imports containing the additive ractopamine, holding referendums alongside elections and relocating the construction site of a planned natural gas terminal from an algal reef off Taoyuan.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not