Washington has not proposed any action for the Philippines in defense of Taiwan, Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said on Thursday, adding that granting the US access to Philippine military bases would be “useful” if China attacked Taiwan.
Marcos, speaking at the end of a four-day visit to Washington that included a summit with US President Joe Biden and an agreement to update the countries’ nearly 72-year defensive alliance, did not respond directly when asked whether the US could place weapons at the bases if China attacked Taiwan.
The Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA) reached with the US in 2014 was originally conceived to improve disaster response, Marcos said.
Photo: Reuters
“Now there’s an additional aspect to it,” he said. “And that is ... tensions across the Taiwan Straits seem to be continuing to increase. Then the safety of our Filipino nationals in Taiwan becomes of primordial importance.”
“And so these EDCA sites will also prove to be useful for us should that terrible occurrence come about,” he added, referring to a hypothetical invasion of Taiwan.
Washington “has not proposed any kind of action for the Philippines in terms of taking part in the defense of Taiwan,” Marcos said.
“It’s of a defensive nature and maybe a civil-defense nature, when I talk about the disasters and the evacuation of our Filipino nationals,” he said.
Marcos traveled to Washington seeking clarity on the extent of the US’ commitment to protect his country.
The trip included the first White House visit by a Philippine leader in 10 years.
Experts say the US sees the Philippines as a potential location for weapons to counter a hypothetical Chinese amphibious invasion of Taiwan.
US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said after a meeting with Philippine officials last month that it was “too early” to discuss what assets the US would like to station at Philippine bases.
Speaking earlier on Thursday to a US think tank, Marcos said he told China’s foreign minister that the EDCA sites were not intended for “offensive action.”
He also said that Washington had not asked the Philippines to provide troops if there were a war.
Biden on Monday said that the US commitment to the defense of the Philippines was “ironclad,” including in the South China Sea, and that the guidelines issued on Wednesday laid out treaty commitments if either side were attacked in the South China Sea.
Marcos said that Manila had agreed in principle to joint South China Sea patrols with the US, Australia, Japan “and even South Korea,” and that he expected them to start this year.
He said the patrols would help preserve freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not