A 30-year-old woman and her one-year-old son were killed late on Tuesday when a bus making a left turn crashed into them as they crossed an intersection in Taichung’s North District (北區), city authorities said, as the central government detailed measures to address pedestrian safety.
The Taichung Police Department said that the incident occurred as the woman, her husband and their child were crossing Yingcai Road at the intersection with Xueshi Road at about 11:15pm.
As they were crossing, a city bus on the No. 280 route made a left turn on a green light onto Yingcai Road and, apparently failing to see the pedestrians, plowed into the two adults and their child in a stroller, police said.
Photo courtesy of a member of the public via CNA
The three were immediately taken to China Medical University Hospital, where the mother, surnamed Lee (李), and her child were pronounced dead.
The father, an Iraqi national, was treated for minor injuries.
The father, identified by his Chinese surname Chi (季), told media after the crash that they had been walking in the crosswalk and were almost across the street when the bus, moving at a high speed, made a left turn into them.
Chi’s account was corroborated by witnesses, who said the family had been legally crossing at a crosswalk, but appeared to have been in the driver’s “blind spot,” as he did not reduce the bus’ speed.
Meanwhile, the 53-year-old driver, surnamed Chen (陳), said he did not see the family due to the dim lighting in the area, and only realized something had happened after feeling a “bump” on the back end of his bus.
Chen declined to go into detail, other than to say he felt “very sorry” for what happened and would cooperate with the investigation.
Yesterday, the Taichung Police Department said it would review security camera footage from the bus and the site of the crash.
The Taichung Transportation Bureau said it would issue a NT$75,000 fine to Fengyuan Bus Transportation Co, which operates the No. 280 route, and dock points from its performance evaluation, which is to affect how much it can receive in local government subsidies.
A Taichung court yesterday released Chen on NT$100,000 bail.
Separately, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday detailed plans to improve pedestrian safety, including reviews of walkways in the six special municipalities and heavier traffic rule enforcement.
Many Taiwanese streets lack sidewalks, and existing sidewalks are often blocked by scooters or other items, Minister of Transportation and Communications Wang Kwo-tsai (王國材) said.
Bolstering traffic safety in the long term relies on education, but in the short term, law enforcement is the best option, he said.
Short-term improvement of pedestrian infrastructure can only be achieved through penalizing those who block walkways, Wang said, calling on local governments to set up enforcement task forces.
The National Police Agency is also to increase enforcement of right-of-way rules and other measures to protect pedestrians in the hopes of instilling safe driving habits, Wang said.
The ministry has reached an agreement with local governments and the Construction and Planning Agency to improve pedestrian crossings and signals on intersections with heavy traffic, as it hopes to improve 1,000 signals next year, Wang added.
Other measures would include installing more traffic lights and traffic dividers, as well as easing requirements for setting up signals and reviewing road design regulations to prioritize human-centric designs, he said.
In the first 10 months of this year, there were 304,026 traffic incidents, resulting in 2,560 fatalities and 403,878 injuries, ministry data showed.
All were annual increases, with accidents rising by 5.5 percent, fatalities by 6.2 percent and injuries by 5.5 percent.
Fatalities last year dropped below 3,000, marking the first time in six years the figure had fallen, Wang said.
The ministry had expected the downward trend to continue, but with data for this month and last month pending, the figure has already climbed higher than expectations, he said.
In the first 10 months, the top municipalities for fatalities were Kaohsiung, with 308, New Taipei City with 263, Taichung with 253 and Tainan with 248, Wang said, adding that Changhua was the county with the most fatalities, with 212.
Most people who died were either scooter riders, elderly or drunk drivers, he added.
The number of drunk drivers killed in crashes in the first 10 months fell by 27 from the same period last year, he added.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not