Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) lawmakers yesterday accused former premier Simon Chang (張善政), who is the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) candidate for Taoyuan mayor, of obstructing the city’s recently completed underground rail while serving as vice premier seven years ago.
The legislators were responding to allegations against Chang by Taoyuan Mayor Cheng Yun-peng (鄭運鵬), who is campaigning as the DPP incumbent.
Chang’s campaign claims that he played a positive role in building the rail system are baseless, DPP caucus director Lo Chih-cheng (羅致政) told a news conference at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei.
Photo: CNA
The facts do not agree with any version of Chang’s account, he said, adding that “Chang obstructed the project while he was in office and then lied about it to win votes.
Showing a document the Executive Yuan purportedly filed to the city in 2015, DPP legislative caucus deputy director Huang Shih-chieh (黃世杰) said that Chang, who was at the time vice premier, refused release funds for the project on grounds that the central government’s NT$19.9 billion (US$638.68 million at the current exchange rate) allocation was meant for a rail bridge, not an underground system.
The Executive Yuan had pledged NT$80 billion of the rail project’s estimated cost of NT$100 billion, he said, citing the document.
Chang’s criticism that Cheng should be blamed for the project’s late completion is baseless, as Chang had placed the fiscal burden on the city and caused the delay, Huang said.
Credit for the underground rail belongs to Cheng, who fought to obtain funding as a lawmaker representing the city and then as its mayor, he said, adding that the project was approved by Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) last year.
Chang “seems to have forgotten the whole thing and instead is trying to get credit for a project he obstructed,” Huang said, adding that he is “a person without a shred of integrity.”
Chang campaign spokesman Ho Yuan-kai (何元楷) said that the DPP allegations were a smear intended to distract attention from a corruption scandal in Cheng’s administration.
Cheng’s election tactics were “lamentable and disappointing,” Ho said.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as