Tensions over Taiwan have raised the thorny issue of whether US troops based in South Korea would be involved in any conflict, with US and South Korean officials acknowledging that the peninsula could easily be dragged into a crisis.
South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol told CNN in an interview aired on Sunday that his country was keen to work with the US to “expand freedom,” but that in a conflict over Taiwan, North Korea would be more likely to stage a provocation and that the alliance should focus on that first.
North Korea has a mutual defense treaty with China, and military analysts suggest it could coordinate with Beijing or take advantage of a crisis to pursue its own military goals.
Photo: Reuters
US President Joe Biden last week said US forces would defend Taiwan in the event of a Chinese invasion, drawing an angry response from China and raising the stakes for Washington’s allies that host US troops in the region.
China is South Korea’s largest economic partner, and Seoul could find itself on the literal front lines of any regional military conflict.
North Korea has backed China’s claims over Taiwan, and accused Washington of trying to build an “Asian NATO” that would import crises like the one in Ukraine to Asia.
Yoon has vowed to forge closer ties with the US, which has had a mutual defense treaty with South Korea since the 1950-1953 Korean War, and stations about 28,500 troops in the country.
When asked whether South Korea would help the US if China attacks Taiwan, Yoon did not directly answer.
Commander of US Forces Korea (USFK) General Paul LaCamera last week said it is prudent to plan for all possibilities.
“What begins in one region spreads very quickly within the region and around the world,” LaCamera told a seminar hosted by the Institute for Corean-American Studies (ICAS) on Tuesday.
South Korean troops fought alongside Americans in Vietnam and supported the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but questions of future involvement are for South Korea to decide alone, LaCamera said.
In response, South Korean Vice Minister of National Defense Shin Beom-chul told broadcaster MBC that there had been no such discussions between Washington and Seoul.
“I can tell our citizens that we will ensure consultations would not move in a direction that undermines security on the Korean Peninsula,” he said.
Many South Korean military officials privately expect they could once again face off against China, with memories of Beijing’s intervention on the side of the North in the Korean War, one former South Korean general said.
“They absolutely do not trust China, it’s something they feel in their bones,” he said.
In his confirmation hearing last year, LaCamera said he would seek to integrate USFK into “operational plans supporting US interests and objectives in the region.”
In 2006, amid Washington’s push to mobilize forces for the “war on terror,” Seoul agreed to “strategic flexibility” under which it would “understand” though not necessarily support the deployment of USFK units to other locations, as long as it is consulted, said Sungmin Cho, a professor at the Pentagon’s Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies in Hawaii.
This is “still ambiguous,” he said. “This needs to be talked out between Seoul and Washington.”
Cho said that North Korea could support China in a Taiwan conflict by launching an attack on South Korea, or simply use the conflict as a chance to push forward with its nuclear or missile development.
USFK is heavily focused on land-based troops, which would be of limited use in a conflict that remains focused around the Taiwan Strait, said former general Park Cheol-kyun, who worked on international policy at the South Korean Ministry of National Defense until May.
“You need the navy, air force and intelligence assets, so most of the US forces that could contain or deter Chinese provocation, are mostly in Japan,” he said, adding that the US-South Korea alliance cannot afford to ignore China’s role in the region.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a