Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tuan Yi-kang (段宜康) yesterday criticized Premier William Lai (賴清德) and President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) after the DPP’s devastating losses in the nine-in-one local elections on Saturday.
Lai was at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei to give an Executive Yuan report on the Puyuma Express derailment on Oct. 21 when Tuan delivered a speech about the administration’s policy failures.
Tuan, wearing a 2016 election campaign jacket, said the DPP had not fulfilled the responsibilities that voters handed to it two years ago, highlighting the negative effects of economic issues and the party’s failure to back referendums that are aligned with its ideals as sources of public discontent.
Photo: Huang Yao-cheng, Taipei Times
“I have done all the party asked of me before the vote. I am only partially surprised by the results,” Tuan said. “There had been signs pointing to the party losing the elections; only the large margin of the losses was surprising.”
While the DPP did tell voters that Kaohsiung mayor-elect Han Kuo-yu’s (韓國瑜) campaign promises were absurd, it failed to respond to the real causes of their discontent, he said.
“On the night of election day, Lai told the public that he would resign, but did the Cabinet name the sources of the public’s discontent? Did it tell the people that it had heard them?” Tuan asked.
“President Tsai said reforms cannot stop, but they certainly should as we take stock of the policies that have been implemented,” he said
“Have you faced up to the mistakes that were made in the course of the reforms?” Tuan asked Lai.
The DPP took the Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) amendments to the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) and passed them into law, but the legislation contradicts the DPP’s campaign promise of balancing the interests of workers and employers, and has harmed vulnerable small businesses and workers, Tuan said.
Tsai’s comments that voters are testing the DPP to have a higher standard are wrong, he said, adding that voters have consistently told the party that they are angry about economic and livelihood issues, and that the anger is spreading beyond young voters.
“If we are powerless to solve these problems, did we communicate that to the people? If we are too afraid to admit that certain things are beyond our ability, then what difference is there between Han and us?” he asked.
Many of the votes on the referendums have yielded results that are contrary to the DPP’s values and policies, he said.
“The DPP should have done its best to explain and defend the policies before and after the votes, and not made it seem as if we are pleased with our lot,” he said. “We should have had the courage to publicly debate those referendums that were opposed to our values.”
The Executive Yuan failed to even appoint representatives in the televised debate for the gender equality eduction referendum, Tuan said.
“What kind of administration does that make us?” he asked.
“I ask Premier Lai to think about what responsibilities he has and how best to use what is left of his term to respond to the voice of the people,” he said.
Executive Yuan Secretary-General Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) later yesterday fired back, saying that Tuan should be personally held responsible for accelerating civil servant pension cutbacks and pushing for the legalization of same-sex marriage.
“If the party agrees with [Tuan’s] analysis, then he should run for party chairman himself,” Cho said, adding that his comments represent his opinion and not that of the Cabinet.
Tuan responded in a Facebook post, saying his remarks at the legislature were meant as a reminder to both Lai and himself.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as