The Ministry of National Defense (MND) yesterday said that military-issued equipment and weaponry are sufficient for combat and personal protection, adding that soldiers and officers are prohibited from using personal equipment purchased elsewhere.
The ministry said that, in accordance with the Armed Forces Uniforms Act (陸海空軍服制條例) and internal management regulations, soldiers and officers must conform to the dress code for active service personnel to meet the need for identification in combat situations, as well as maintaining required standards for appearance.
The ministry issued the statement in response to media reports of complaints made by Marine Corps commander Lieutenant Colonel Hsu Cheng-yi (許誠宜), who said military-issued equipment and weaponry are not to his satisfaction in terms of protection and performance, leading him to spend NT$130,000 on accoutrements and other upgrades to improve his field combat wear and equipment.
Hsu, a Marine Corps Amphibious Reconnaissance and Patrol Unit squadron commander, also posted pictures on Facebook of his accessorized T91 assault rifle, which had been augmented with a 3X telescopic sight and a forward grip, a US-made combat helmet, a bulletproof flak jacket and a Safariland 6004 tactical handgun holster.
Hsu said the pictures were taken when leading his squadron on field combat drills during the Han Kuang military exercises (漢光演習) earlier this month.
Hsu said that he spent his own money on the equipment to match the standards of amphibious reconnaissance counterparts in the US Marines, which he had trained with at US bases in the past.
“As military-issued equipment and weaponry does not meet expectations in terms of quality or performance, as the commanding officer of my unit, I wanted to set a good example by upgrading my equipment,” Hsu wrote on Facebook. “I hope the soldiers in my unit are dedicated fighting men like me, who are willing to invest in themselves.”
He also criticized military officials for focusing on troops’ dress code and visual appearance, saying they should consider providing soldiers with equipment and weaponry.
The ministry said in its statement that programs are already in place to replace old and outdated equipment in all branches of the armed forces, adding that its goal is to upgrade equipment and weaponry so that it is on a par with the US and other advanced nations.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has