Taiwan appears to have played a limited role in the seventh annual US-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue in Washington this week.
Sources say that the US did not even raise the subject during closed-door talks.
However, Chinese State Councilor Yang Jiechi (楊潔篪) said in his publicly released closing remarks that China had “reaffirmed its principled positions on Taiwan.”
He said that China had stressed the need for the US to respect and accommodate the interests and concerns of China and “handle differences and sensitive issues with caution.”
Yang said that it was important for the US to respect China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and respect the development path chosen by Chinese.
Both sides said that the two days of dialogue were aimed at paving the way for Chinese President Xi Jinping’s (習近平) visit to the US in September and sources said that Taiwan was certain to be on that agenda. Some Washington-based China experts expect that Taiwan’s upcoming presidential election, its likely outcome and impact, is to be raised by Xi.
Following the US-China Strategic and Economic Dialogue, both sides also praised the US visit earlier this month of China’s Vice Chairman of the Central Military Commission, General Fan Changlong (范長龍).
It is understood that during his visit, Fan discussed Taiwan and urged the US to follow the “one China” policy and not to encourage moves toward Taiwanese independence. He also protested US arms sales to Taiwan, but said they would not result in a break in military-to-military relationships between the US and China.
Yang said that he and US Secretary of State John Kerry had “thorough discussions” on how to build a new model of major country relations, deepen practical cooperation, enhance China-US cooperation in the Asia Pacific, handle regional hotspots and global challenges and manage differences “in a constructive fashion.”
However, the Wall Street Journal reported that the meetings began under a cloud of “mistrust and acrimony” arising from tension over security in cyberspace and at sea.
“Top US officials issued stern admonitions about China’s behavior in cyberspace, warning it could threaten one of the most important geopolitical relationships in the world,” the newspaper said.
US Vice President Joe Biden warned China to keep international waterways open for trade and voiced concerns about China’s reclamation work in the South China Sea.
As the talks opened, Biden said: “Responsible countries adhere to international law and work together to keep international sea lanes open for unimpaired commerce. The notion of sea lanes being open and protected is even more crucial today than any time in human history, because of the interconnectedness of the world.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as