Film director Luc Besson yesterday praised the Taiwanese cast and crew members who contributed to his action thriller Lucy, saying everyone worked together like a football team when the film was shot in Taipei last year.
Speaking at a press conference in Taipei, Besson said one of his fears when arriving in a foreign country is the uncertainty over the competence of the local cast and crew.
However, after meeting with the Taiwanese actors, the director said he was “quite surprised” by how well they could perform and he was able to select from a pool of talented actors.
Taiwanese actors Hsing Feng (邢峰) and Ken Lin (林暐恆), better known as A-ken (阿Ken), and Taiwanese American actor Mason Lee (李淳) play minor roles in the film.
US actress and two-time Esquire “sexiest woman alive” Scarlett Johansson plays the title role of a US woman living and studying in Taipei who is forced to become a drug mule for a mob.
When asked to rate the performance of the Taiwanese cast and crew, Besson playfully quoted the film’s namesake character Lucy: “No, in fact there are no letters and no numbers.”
“Otherwise, I will say out of 10, I will give 12,” he said.
He also said the crew, which included people from France and other countries as well as Taiwan, functioned like a cohesive football team, despite speaking different languages.
However, in an interview with local press later in the day, Besson said he cast South Korean actor Choi Min-sik instead of a Taiwanese actor as the villain — Mr Jang — because Choi was the better choice.
Taiwanese actors still have “a little work to do” to reach Choi’s level of performance, the director said.
Besson was accompanied at the press conference by his producer wife, Virginie Silla.
The couple arrived in Taiwan on Sunday to promote Lucy, which is to premiere in Taipei today.
Discussing the motivation behind his latest film, Besson said he wanted to make a thriller with a philosophical message that looked at the question of what people do when they have power.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not