Although cancer is no longer an incurable disease, a large proportion of suspected cancer patients in the nation remain reluctant to seek a diagnosis, the Taipei City Government’s Department of Health said yesterday.
The department’s health promotion division head, Lin Li-ju (林莉茹), said of the 277,000 people who underwent the health department’s free cancer screenings between January and last month, 1,471 were found to have precancerous lesions and 456 were diagnosed with cancers.
“While some are willing to come face-to-face with cancer, as many as 1,666, or 41.2 percent, of people who tested positive in fecal occult blood testing [FOBT] during that period never came back for a diagnostic test,” Lin said.
In addition, about 688 (32.4 percent) and 730 (21.3 percent) of Taipei citizens thought to have oral and breast cancer respectively due to their test results also have yet to get a diagnosis, Lin said.
“Some of these people refused to undergo further tests — such as colonoscopies or breast ultrasounds — to confirm the diagnosis, because they were either too scared to find out whether they really had the diseases, or too confident in their health,” Lin said.
Local health departments offer women with a family history of breast cancer aged 40 to 44 and all women aged 45 to 69 a mammography every two years. Women aged 30 or above are offered one free Pap smear per year; people between 50 and 74 may be screened for colon cancer at two-year intervals, and betel-nut chewers and smokers aged 30 and above, as well as Aboriginal betel-nut users over 18, are encouraged to be screened for oral cancer once every two years.
A 67-year-old man surnamed Wang (王) said he had exercised regularly and kept routine bowel movements for the previous 25 years before he received a positive FOBT test four years ago.
“I refused to believe the result, so I scheduled a colonoscopy shortly afterward. To my astonishment, they did find a large tumor in my rectum and diagnosed me with late, stage-three colorectal cancer,” Wang said, adding that he did not have a family history of cancer or any symptoms before the diagnosis.
Wang aggressively sought treatment, had the tumor removed and had 12 chemotherapy sessions.
He is in remission and serves as a volunteer counselor at the Hope Foundation for Cancer Care.
“You may leave your destiny in God’s hands, but you must be in control of your decisions,” Wang said.
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated