A teenager and a 31-year-old man were found dead in a hotel room in Taitung County on Friday last week, police said.
The police investigation indicated that the 15-year-old junior-high school student surnamed Chang (張) was in a romantic relationship with the man, surnamed Hsu (徐).
Their “fatal attraction” resulted in the doomed couple carrying out a suicide pact, police said.
Chang and Hsu met online.
Instead of attending school on Thursday, the 15-year old skipped class to meet Hsu at a nearby convenience store.
Hsu drove them in his car to a hotel in Taitung County’s Jhihpeng Township (知本).
They committed suicide by burning charcoal in the sealed room.
Chang left diary entries telling of her love for Hsu starting on April 25.
She wrote that her parents were against the relationship.
“I don’t want to be torn apart,” she wrote, adding: “We shall die together, that ought to give us happiness.”
After receiving a call from the hotel, police arrived on the scene to find the room filled with charcoal smoke, where they found Chang and Hsu dead on the bed.
Several bags of charcoal and a lighter were left on the balcony. Police also found the girl’s school bag containing textbooks and her diary.
Hsu is suspected of using illegal drugs, as a small plate with a white powder that police identified as ketamine residue was found.
Ho Cheng-yu (何振宇), secretary-general of Taiwan Lifeline International, urged parents to spend at least half an hour every day talking to their children to show concern for their schoolwork and daily lives to prevent such tragedies.
“If your child begins a relationship with an online friend, parents should provide positive guidance instead of acting out of fear and trying to stop it, because that will only discourage children from communicating openly,” he said.
“An adult making an underage teenager commit suicide is wrong. The adult has to bear most of the responsibility in such cases,” Ho said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as