Divers in Kenting (墾丁) are trying to find a missing estuary cod, amid fears that it might have been caught and consumed at a local restaurant.
Diving coach Tsai Yung-chuen (蔡永春) said the cod was raised in a fish-breeding pond off the coast of Pingtung County, but the pond was destroyed by Typhoon Morakot in 2009. The fish survived the storm and was frequently spotted swimming in Houbi Lake (後壁湖) in Kenting — until about a month ago.
Tsai said the fish was only about 30cm long when it was discovered four years ago, but had grown to about 1m last year.
It was not afraid to come near visitors wanting to take photos, and was featured in this year’s calendar published by the Taiwan Coral Reef Society, he added.
Tsai said diving coaches in Kenting reported last month that they had not seen the fish around the area it used to frequent.
“You can only see the fish in southern Taiwan,” he said. “People spend a lot of money to go to Australia to see [fish like this].”
“Optimists think the fish may have just moved to another area,” Tsai said. “However, for the pessimists, they think it might have been caught and sold to a seafood restaurant for about NT$10,000 and consumed unwittingly by customers.”
Tsai and other diving coaches also expressed concern that the disappearance of the estuary cod might affect their businesses, because a lot of tourists go diving just to see the special creature.
Taiwan Coral Reef Society chairman Cheng Ming-shiou (鄭明修), who is also a researcher at Academia Sinica, said it was not easy to find a large estuary cod.
“People should not be short-sighted. How much can you earn from selling such a fish? If we keep it, it can bring in more tourist revenue. Why do they want to kill a cash cow for Kenting?” Cheng asked. “All sea lovers should make it an obligation to preserve the diversity of the coral reef.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as