Taiwanese officials in Washington have hit back at criticism leveled against them earlier this week by members of the Falun Gong over claims that shortwave radio towers in Taiwan were being demolished to please China.
Falun Gong members said that as a result of pressure from Beijing the towers they used to broadcast uncensored programs to China were being pulled down.
They also alleged that letters of protest from three members of the US Congress to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) had not been forwarded by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in Washington.
In a statement issued on Wednesday night, TECRO rejected the allegations and said they were “absolutely contradictory to the facts.”
It said the dismantling of the Tainan and Huwei stations would result in no change in the technical support provided to the Falun Gong’s Sound of Hope (SOH) radio arm.
The statement said that Radio Taiwan International (RTI) continued to honor its contract with SOH and “there should be no concern over any possible restriction of SOH broadcasting.”
According to the statement, the Tainan and Huwei stations were being consolidated and relocated to sites at Yunlin County’s Baojhong Township (褒忠) and Tamsui District (淡水) in New Taipei City (新北市), both of which possess new transmission equipment.
“The current equipment at Tainan and Huwei stations is over thirty years old with annually increasing maintenance costs, and the stations’ transmitting effectiveness reached only 50 percent of the service area, compared with the new equipment’s efficiency of 80 to 90 percent,” the statement said.
“The consolidation will not only improve the quality of the signal, but also effectively reduce the cost,” the statement issued by TECRO spokesman Frank Wang (王億) said.
According to TECRO, the Tainan station was being moved to accommodate local development and for reasons of electromagnetic wave interference.
The Huwei station was being dismantled as part of the plans for a new Yunlin high-speed railway station special district.
TECRO denied the allegations that letters of protest from US Congressmen had been blocked.
“In each and every case, TECRO faithfully and rapidly relayed through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other relevant agencies the referenced letters from the Congressmen to President Ma expressing their concerns,” the statement said.
It said that Representative to the US King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) “deeply regrets” that the SOH radio network “didn’t check the facts and made these unfounded and misleading accusations.”
OFFLINE: People who do not wish to register can get the money from select ATMs using their bank card, ID number and National Health Insurance card number Online registration for NT$6,000 (US$196.32) cash payments drawn from last year’s tax surplus is to open today for eligible people whose national ID or permanent residency number ends in either a zero or a one, the Ministry of Finance said on Monday. Officials from the ministry revealed which days Taiwanese and eligible foreigners would be able to register for the cash payments at a joint news conference with the Ministry of Digital Affairs. Online registration is to open tomorrow for those whose number ends in a two or three; on Friday for those that end in a four or five: on Saturday
TECH PROGRAM: A US official said that an important part of the delegation’s trip would be to meet with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co executives The US is to send officials in charge of chip development to Taiwan, Japan and South Korea to promote cooperation in the global semiconductor supply chain, the US Department of Commerce said on Tuesday. Chips Program Office Director Michael Schmidt announced the visit, which marks the first time officials from the office are to visit the three nations since it was set up in September last year. “As semiconductors and technologies continue to evolve, the United States will keep working with allies and partners to develop coordinated strategies to ensure that malign actors cannot use the latest technologies to undermine our collective
Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) officials are investigating why a Starlux Airlines flight to Penang, Malaysia, returned to Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport nearly two hours after takeoff yesterday morning. The airline said in a statement that Flight JX721 to Penang took off from Taoyuan airport at 9:20am. “After the dashboard showed a signal of an abnormality in the hydraulic system, the captain followed standard operating procedures and returned the flight to Taoyuan airport for safety precautions,” the airline said, adding that the flight landed safely at the airport at 11:04am. The airline arranged for the passengers to have lunch after the flight landed and
WORKING UP AN APPETITE: Sales at the Rueifong Night Market surged 20 to 30 percent, while seats at Liouhe Night Market were packed until 1am, market officials said South Korean pop band Blackpink’s concerts over the weekend in Kaohsiung helped draw large crowds to local night markets, the Kaohsiung City Government said yesterday. The two concerts on Saturday and Sunday at Kaohsiung National Stadium drew more than 90,000 people. The city government offered NT$50 vouchers to spend locally to concertgoers who showed their ticket stubs. Liouhe Night Market (六合夜市) management committee head Chuang Chi-chang (莊其章) said that crowds over the weekend surged at about 10pm and the market remained packed until 1:30am. “Almost all the seats were filled,” Chuang said. Night market stall owners had stocked up in expectation of an increased number