The National Communications Commission (NCC) is scheduled to make public the bidding price for fourth-generation (4G) telecoms service licenses by the end of June, the regulator said yesterday. Many in the industry believe the price will be higher than that for third-generation (3G) services.
The government announced last year that it would release a total of 270MHz of radio frequencies in the spectrum of 700MHz, 900MHz and 1,800MHz for 4G service use.
The commission drafted regulations governing the issuance of the licenses and held a public hearing in November last year.
The commission has made some changes to the draft regulations after hearing opinions from telecoms operators, reducing the minimum units needed to launch mobile broadband services from 15MHz to 10MHz, both to upload and download speeds, spokesperson Yu Hsiao-cheng (虞孝成) said.
If there are five or more qualified bidders, the total frequencies each bidder can obtain will be capped at 35MHz, Yu said, adding that the cap would be raised to 40MHz if there were only four qualified bidders.
For three or fewer bidders, the frequencies each can obtain is capped at 45MHz, he added.
Those interested in obtaining a license must have at least NT$6 billion (US$207.1 million) in capital and be able to afford a bid bond of NT$1 billion. They will also have to pass a qualification review before they can attend the bidding, Yu said.
The commission will use a simultaneous, multiple-round and ascending bid auction system, Yu said. Each bidder will be able to quote the price for each round onve, with the quoted price being a multiple of NT$5 million.
A quote would be considered ineffective if the bidder violates the bidding requirementd.
A bidder would be disqualified if it does not quote the price or places an ineffective bid during the first round.
A bidder would be banned from quoting prices if it gives up the right to do so more than three times in the second and following rounds.
Telecoms carriers must meet several requirements before they are permitted to sell or trade the frequencies they obtain, Yu said.
“Our concern was that some would simply bid for frequencies and then sell them for a higher price without first building the infrastructure needed to provide services,” Yu said.
Therefore bidders will be required to build at least 250 base stations as well as other relevant infrastructure before they can sell their frequencies, he said. Carriers must also obtain approval for the transaction and the certification of the network infrastructure from the commission before a deal could take effect.
Tsai Kuo-tung (蔡國棟), a specialist with the commission’s competitive policy division, said there are still carriers offering the global system for mobile communication (GSM) service in the frequencies up for bid. Some may not obtain the frequency they thought they owned through the bidding process, Tsai said.
The commission only allows GSM service carriers to trade the frequencies, Tsai said, adding they are not required to build facilities first.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not