Yunlin and Chiayi counties, along with Greater Tainan, are to hold a marathon-style bird-watching race for the first time in November to raise environmental awareness and promote ecotourism on the island, organizers said yesterday.
The race is to be held over a 5,400km2 area in southwestern Taiwan and will require competitors to follow birds from the mountains to the sea, the Taiwan Ecotourism Association said.
“It will be a true marathon, physically and mentally,” said association project manager Elva Hsu, who estimates that the 30-hour challenge will draw about 100 Taiwanese and foreign contestants.
The object of the competition is straightforward: Spot as many different bird species in the 30-hour time limit as possible.
However, successfully completing the task is another story, Hsu said.
Each team will need to cover a vast area ranging from the mountainous Alishan National Scenic Area to the coastal Budai Salt Pan Wetlands (布袋鹽田濕地), as well as the Cigu Wetlands (七股濕地), which places a premium on planning the run because getting from the mountains to the coast can take five hours, Hsu said.
However, the hard work will be worth it, organizers said, because participants should have great opportunities during their trip to spot the endangered black-faced spoonbill, a migratory bird that usually inhabits the southwestern Taiwan coastline from October to April.
The race follows a successful bird watching competition in central Taiwan’s Dasyueshan National Forest Recreation Area earlier this year, when 152 bird species were documented by nearly 200 bird watchers, she said.
Meanwhile, the event’s co-host, the Tourism Bureau, said it hoped that similar events could help showcase both the country’s rich biodiversity and environmentally friendly credentials.
“The birdathon is a good start to introduce southwestern Taiwan’s unique natural environment to foreign tourists,” said Cheng Rong-fong (鄭榮峰), acting director of the Southwest Coast National Scenic Area.
The bird watching race is to run from 8:30am on Nov. 23 to 2:30pm the following day. For registration information, visit: http://en.taiwanbirdathon.org.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as