Ahead of the inauguration of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) for a second term on Sunday, Aborigines yesterday accused Ma of making their lives more miserable and of breaking promises he made to them during his first presidential campaign.
“No to poverty! No to unemployment! Ma Ying-jeou, apologize!” Aboriginal leaders shouted at a news conference held in Taipei, calling on 500,000 Aborigines nationwide to vent their anger at anti-Ma rallies organized by opposition parties and other civic groups this weekend.
“Ma made many beautiful promises to Taiwan’s Aborigines during his 2008 presidential campaign, vowing to make our lives better, but his promises have all been proven to be lies, as his first term as president is ending in a few days [without making good on any of the promises],” said Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) New Taipei City Councilor Icyang Parod, a member of the Amis tribe and spokesman for the Taiwan Alliance for Monitoring of Aboriginal Policies.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
“According to the latest figures released by the Council of -Indigenous Peoples in May last year, 58.2 percent of the country’s Aboriginal population lives under the poverty level, living on less than NT$10,000 [US$338] per month,” he said.
He said that under the former DPP government, the unemployment rate for Aborigines had been as low as 4.27 percent, but that figure had risen to 8.85 percent in September 2009, a little over a year after Ma took office.
Taxi driver Inti Osya of the Amis tribe said that rising prices had caused serious problems for him.
“It is costing me more to drive around everyday as gas prices go up, and I’m getting fewer -customers because people are less willing to take a taxi nowadays as the prices of everything are rising,” he said. “It was already difficult for us taxi drivers to make money, it is getting even harder now.”
While rising utility prices are effecting those who live in cities, it has led to more problems for Aborigines living in the mountains, said Lalin Yumin, an Atayal resident from Hsinchu County’s Wufeng Township (五峰).
“When gas prices go up, the president advises the public to take public transportation — this is a feasible solution for people in the city, but what about Aborigines who live in the mountains without public transportation,” Lalin asked. “I need to go into the mountains to work from my village. Is there any bus that I can take? When I need to deliver the fruit and vegetables that I grow to markets in the cities, the only means of transportation for me is my own truck.”
With fruit and vegetable prices staying low and gas prices going up, “we sometimes don’t make any profit at all selling high-altitude farm produce,” Lalin said.
He said many young Aborigines who cannot find work in cities decide to return to their home villages. However, they are unable to engage in traditional farming or hunting because most Aboriginal traditional domains are now national properties or reserve lands.
The activists also panned Ma for failing to fulfill his promises to grant Aborigines autonomy and to solve the issue of a de facto administrative downgrade when five former Aboriginal townships — the current Taoyuan (桃源), Maolin (茂林) and Namasiya (那瑪夏) districts in Greater Kaohsiung, Heping District (和平) in Greater Taichung and Wulai District (烏來) in New Taipei City (新北市) — became districts in special municipalities.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as