The price of flights to Europe may rise after the EU starts including the aviation industry in the carbon emissions trading system (ETS) next year, a research report by the Civil Aeronautics Administration showed.
Previously, the ETS only applied to a few sectors in the EU, including power stations, combustion plants, oil refineries and steel works as well as factories producing glass, bricks and several other materials.
However, in 2009 the EU said that the system would apply to the aviation industry as well, including international carriers operating to, from and within Europe. The policy is scheduled to take effect on Jan. 1 next year.
The administration said each airline will be given a tradable emissions allowance based on its past record. While airlines will be able to use 85 percent of their allowance for free, they are required to purchase the remaining 15 percent under the new scheme.
The aviation authority estimated that China Airlines and EVA Airways, the nation’s two largest carriers, would need to pay NT$210 million (US$6.99 million) and NT$150 million respectively for their emissions permits. However, the airlines could reduce the amount they need to pay by adopting measures to cut carbon emissions.
The administration added that the annual emissions limit set by the EU is 97 percent of the average amount of carbon dioxide emitted by the industry between 2004 and 2006, but the EU aims to cut emissions by lowering the percentage to 95 percent in 2013.
If an airline exceeds their allowance, it will have to purchase an additional allowance from other trading firms and face a penalty of 100 euros (US$138) per tonne of carbon dioxide.
Last week, members of the UN’s International Civil Aviation Organization, including the US, China and two dozen other nations, urged the EU not to include non-EU carriers in its plan.
They said the plan would infringe a “cardinal principle of state sovereignty” by setting its charges on the distance flown in each flight.
The International Air Transport Association, which represents 230 airlines, also said that the carbon plan would impact on airlines’ profits and make it harder to invest in cleaner aircraft.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as