The Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA) will offer a “frequent rider” program from March 30, allowing member customers to accumulate mileage on the railway. Memberships can exchange points for tickets, or be given priority when it comes to ticket refunds.
Taiwan Railway spokesman Chang Ying-hui (張應輝) said that once the membership system is up and running, Taiwanese nationals could register at www.railway.gov.tw/.
According to the TRA, one point is awarded for every 80km, or every NT$30. For example, a round-trip journey between Taipei and Kaohsiung would accumulate 50 points, while a round-trip journey between Taipei and Taichung would accumulate 22 points.
Customers can exchange 500 points for a ticket that covers a travel distance of 100km or less with a face value within NT$227. For 750 points, they can get a ticket covering travel distances within 200km. Customers can exchange the maximum 4,000 points for a three-day TR-PASS, valued at NT$1,800.
According to Chang, points are valid for two years from the date of accumulation and membership status may be shared with family and friends.
Meanwhile, in response to Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Lai Kun-cheng’s (賴坤成) criticism that travelers on the Hualien-Taitung line pay high prices for tickets yet sit in -decades-old cars that aren’t even electrified, Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) promised to tackle the issue within three months.
In other news, beginning on April 1, all of the nation’s senior citizens and physically challenged individuals will be granted a 50 percent discount on mass rapid transit (MRT) fares in Taipei and Greater Kaohsiung, the Consumer Protection Commission (CPC) said.
The benefit was previously limited only to residents of the two special municipalities who are over age 65 or are physically challenged, but will now be offered to visitors from outside the two cities, CPC official Liu Chin-fang (劉清芳) said.
The new measure was initiated after authorities convinced local governments outside of Taipei and Kaohsiung to bear the costs of the discounted fares rather than having the MRT operators in the two cities absorb the losses in revenue, the CPC said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as