The Ministry of Education yesterday rejected allegations that it was forcing universities to delay student graduations to prevent the already high unemployment rate from rising further.
Department of Higher Education Director-General Ho Cho-fei (何卓飛) said it was “impossible” for the ministry to interfere in the matter because universities had the autonomy to evaluate when their students were qualified for graduation.
A day earlier, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Pan Meng-an (潘孟安) accused the ministry of instructing universities to decrease the pass rate among senior students to delay their graduation.
He said the measure was aimed at controlling the unemployment rate, which climbed to 5.94 percent last month.
Wu Jui-ying (吳睿穎), executive vice president of 1111 Job Bank, said the graduation of one-third of the senior students at National Taiwan University (NTU) had been delayed this year.
While only 2.68 percent of the students did so voluntarily out of fear of entering the job market at such a difficult time, the rest were flunked by their professors, Wu said.
Ho said their claims were not grounded in fact and that there had not been any significant change in the number of students who have delayed their graduation over the past several years.
In the 2007-2008 academic year — the latest year for which data are available — 47,127 students delayed graduation, marking only a slight increase from 47,094 in the 2006-2007 academic year and 46,897 in 2005-2006, Ho said.
Although the data for the this academic year will not be available until October, Ho predicted that the number would be similar to previous years.
Meanwhile, NTU officials said 1,034 students delayed graduation in the 2007-2008 academic year, accounting for 29 percent of the total number who were supposed to graduate that year.
Their reasons for delaying graduation were as follows: 176 still had to finish minor courses or double degree programs, 17 had unfinished intramural courses, 77 took part in exchange programs overseas, while more than 700 were preparing for entrance examinations for graduate schools, the officials said.
NTU spokesman Liao Hsien-hao (廖咸浩) said the numbers were reasonable.
Liao, a former director of the Taipei City Government’s cultural bureau during President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) stint as Taipei mayor, said qualified students were completely free to graduate whenever they chose, so long as it was within the maximum allowed period of study.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as